I wanted a hen that lays colored eggs and I'm getting her for $40.00

Jennie5193

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
South East TN
I think I just lost my mind when it comes to these chickens.

I've wanted "EEs" or Ameraucanas or Araucanas since I was 4 years old. My parents had chickens for a while and it was always fun to collect eggs and see what I got. I even remember going to an easter egg hunt and bragging that I didn't have to dye my eggs! Everybody had to come to my house and see the chickens before they beleived us, then of course I was the coolest kid because I got to eat pink eggs for breakfast, or green, or blue... etc...

I've had *very* bad luck with straight run chicks that I've gotten from local breeders. I got 20 chicks... and 4 hens.
sad.png
So, needless to say... I've given up on that route! (not that the breeders were bad, they were great... just my luck of ratio!)
I have been keeping an eye out in various places for a hen and even posted a few ads saying I wanted one and was willing to pay a decent price. I never got any answers! Nothing!
Well, patience isn't my best feature and last night I posted an ad on craigslist "Wanted Ameraucanas or Araucanas $40.00".

Needless to say, (thankfully) my inbox is filled with people that won't mind selling one for that much.

I don't plan on making money with the eggs - just so that my kids can see 'em and enjoy gathering them like I did when I was little.
I would like honest opinions about how far off the deep end I've gone with this (or anyone that is swimming down here with me!).
Really, how much would you be willing to pay for a chicken that you want to have - even if you know it is not "worth" that much?

Oh, I forgot to mention.... people that know me call me a tightwad. I will haggle over rotten veggies at the farmers market.
gig.gif
This is why I know I've lost it.

Last edited:
We got into the Ameraucana's because when my youngest daughter was old enought for 4-H , her favorite color was blue, so she wanted the ones that layed the blue eggs. Since my kids have show in every barn at the fair but Rabbit, We wanted show quality . My daughter is 11yrs old and names all of them, she goes out and sets with them,. They are so friendly they will sit on her shoulder, and run to met her. She LOVES her chickens. Got to admit, I"m pretty fond of them myself.

This is probably a dumb question, but do the same chickens lay the same colored eggs every day?

I bought a supposed "EE" (only paid $10.00) last weekend and the lady i bought her from showed me a blue egg - she was the ONLY chicken in the pen that wasn't a RIR. So far, the chicken has only laid brown eggs. Am I missing something or did someone just tell me a not so truth?

lau.gif
Hey! Anybody got beachfront property in Colorado they want to sell me!?!?!?

At least that is what my husband said when I told him the chicken would lay a blue egg... and then it laid a brown one.

Thanks... I didn't think it would, but I just had to place my ignorance out there for everyone to read.
hide.gif
lau.gif

I was going to say $40 is too much, but that's what you offered, so I can't say that! If you've ever read the Tightwad Gazette books, the author says being frugal frees up money to spend on what is important to you and if that's what you really want, then it's not unreasonable.
hugs.gif

I bought my 6 EE girls from a local farm store last year as sexed day-olds. One lays a light brown egg, the rest lay bluish or green eggs. And no, egg color won't change - once they start laying - it may change size or get slightly lighter or darker - but overall color won't change. It makes me mad that the seller misled you!
somad.gif

Tis the season for chicks at local farm stores - can you order sexed day-old EE pullets? For $40 you could buy 15-20 chicks! In 6 months you'd be drowning in blue and green eggs!
lol.png

AHHH! YES! I have read the Tightwad Gazzette! I'm looking at the books as I type. I *love* Amy's statments... I mean, it is a chicken... but I do *so* many things to live frugally that like you said, occasionally I am able to get a $10 hen for $40.00. I think that book should be a *must read* for everyone!
smile.png
That's just me, though... I had no idea how much money I was frittering away 'till I read all three books in one weekend! LOL

I honestly feel like I've been trying for a while to find one, but no matter how many ads I posted - I would get no reply. I never saw any for sale (other than day old chicks) and I can't do that again. I don't want to buy 25 chickens to "rehome" 24 of 'em cause I can't have any more roosters! LOL
I completely agree with you, $40.00 IS WAY too much for that chicken - but it was an amount that made some keepers want to snap up the offer!
big_smile.png

I really only have room for one or maybe two more hens (two is pushing it) so I've got to work within that. I actually *was* waiting in line at TSC for chicks, but they sold out VERY quickly and I didn't get any.
sad.png

I hope the seller was confused. She just had chickens for her personal use and the neighbors (with 5 loud, stinky, dogs) reported her and she was having to get rid of her chickens. She didn't speak much english at all, I'm hoping it was a misunderstanding, she didn't really even know the names of the breeds she had. Last year, she ordered (from a hatchery) a variety of "egg layers" and she had whatever they sent her (as far as I can tell). We were disappointed, but she is a sweet chicken and hopefully I'll be able to get one.

Now that I've gotten a few replies from my ad, I think I'll be able to be picky about what I get instead of taking whatever I can.

Quote:
Yep-lost yer mind. And yes, you went over the deep end. Can you see me waving at you saying howdy and ain't the water just fine?
I paid 20 bucks for a bantum, had her over a year, paid a 45 vet bill and she passed anyway. Some people spend their money on drugs, designer clothes, and pretty cars. I spend mine on critters. Whatever floats yer boat.

OH NO! You spent that much and then lost it! That is terrible! I'm so sorry.

Well, I've had many offers and I need to narrow the search down to a reasonable driving distance. LOL This is great. I just might be able to get my hen today!

It's nice to know I'm not the only silly chicken that will spend a crazy amount for one!

Back
Top Bottom