i warned everyone that this winter was gonna be rough newpics pg5&vid

Cool! I love snow. The more the merrier. I'm a CA transplant and we went to the mountains once to see snow when I was a kid. Bog wow! I was excited as a little kid the first time I saw it snow and now 41 1/2 years later nothing has changed. I have a few things to get done before I'm ready to say "Bring it on!"so I hope the weather holds off until after the weekend. This is my first winter with chickens and there will be drifts between the house and the coop, so I'm buying myself a new snow shovel. My warm tall boots will serve me well to stomp thru the drifts, and I have two granddaughters who will be delighted to help out. I've been raking and bagging leaves to store in the wood shed to put in the run during the winter to give the girls something to play and peck around in. I think I'll get a heating pad to store in the coop so I can go sit with the girls like I've done during the spring and summer. Those heat packets for pockets will serve well in my gloves and boots. Winter isn't going to stand between me and my girls! Ü

Quote:
we built our goats a straw shed. they are pretty toasty in there!

i wouldnt be worrried about the snow but i would be worried about the temps, when it gets to -20 here i start worrying!

day 2 of the storm.. snow total around 2ft.... drifts so high that i have to crawl over em to feed the critters here are more pics

001-1.jpg

the silkie coop is obselete

002-1.jpg

where the pop door was

005-1.jpg

my matched team of minis are there... the drift is 4ft tall and about 50 ft wide.. i had to crawl to get them hay and water

007-1.jpg

tramps shed.. the green gate is gone

its supposed to stop tonite and be clear tomorrow. and tomorrow and turkey day its supposed to get up to 7 degrees and 5 degrees but hey it will be sunny!

Thanks for sharing the snow pics! It looks like our place last year here in Indiana. It does not take alot of snow to get HUGE drifts when you are in open areas and it is windy. I spent a ton of time shoveling every day as paths, walkways, and pens drifted deep with snow. This year I plan to break down and get a snow blower!!
celebrate.gif

Another alternative is to get a roll of snow fencing to get the snow to pile away from the places that you don't want to dig out.

Quote:

i wouldnt be worrried about the snow but i would be worried about the temps, when it gets to -20 here i start worrying!

You mean inside their barn ? you build hay shed around them? This is very interesting we never get that cold just at freezing. I only have 2 goats at the moment. And when I asked for straw they looked at me like I was nuts lol like they didn't know what I was talking about.

They said we have hay, coastal and alfalfa and some cheap hay 12.00 a square bale ... their cheap isn't my cheap lol.

Any ways ya maybe I shouldn't worry then since we don't get any colder than the teens out this way.

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Those are amazing pictures I don't think I would know what to do if I ever seen so much snow. I don't think we could handle being that cold for long either we had 3 nights last feb around 5 degrees it was horrible without a heater in the house.

Keep warm!

Quote:

You mean inside their barn ? you build hay shed around them? This is very interesting we never get that cold just at freezing. I only have 2 goats at the moment. And when I asked for straw they looked at me like I was nuts lol like they didn't know what I was talking about.

They said we have hay, coastal and alfalfa and some cheap hay 12.00 a square bale ... their cheap isn't my cheap lol.

Any ways ya maybe I shouldn't worry then since we don't get any colder than the teens out this way.

Thanks a lot!

no, its a shed litterealy build out of straw bales. the inside of the shed is 5x5. its 2 bales high (80lb bales of straw) with a big heavy gate on top and straw stacked on top. we build a new one every year, keeps them the warmest.
we get our nice straw for 1 dollar a bale... and our alfalfa hay (120lb bales) for 5 bucks a bale... and thats delivered!

Back
Top Bottom