I was just paranoid - the pecking order is NORMAL

LittleMamaBigPapa

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Bellevue, Nebraska
My 6 week old BO rooster is picking on the 2 new white Plymouth Rock bantams. The PRs are about 14-16 weeks old and twice his size but he does not care! He is BOSS!! They cant even go near the food when he is out there. He could be on one end of the cage and if they go to the food, he RUNS over and chases them away. Tonight, I witnessed him pin one of them down with his beak attached to her face!!!! And she was in total surrender!! I have raised him since he was 2 days old, but at that moment, I seriously wanted a CHICKEN NUGGET!!!!!!
somad.gif

We have plans to trade him, BUT we have to go out of town this weekend, and we can't take him before our trip sooooooo what am I suppose to do??????

As of now they have been playing in the run together every day for 7 days, but at night the BOs have been staying in their brooder in the house. I wanted to have them start sleeping outside together starting tonight but after seeing that, i am afraid he will hurt them!!!!
hit.gif

WHAT DO I DO????

Here they are all together.....

coop047.jpg

Last edited:
If you remove the offender for a while it'll shake up the pecking order and might help ease the situation when you put him back in. Just a thought
idunno.gif

Well, they are establishing the pecking order right now. Yes, they may hurt each other, but they probably wont kill each other. Just watch them as much as possible to make sure that during the first few days, no one is harmed.
Jenny

I will continue to put them in there every day. I cant, however, watch them closely while I am gone all day at work.

I didnt put the 3 BOs out today before heading to work, but will when I get home.

It's funny though, the Rooster acts all tough in the run, but he and his 2 BO sisters cried like babies when I tried to shut them in the coop last night (for the first time). They all jumped on me when I tried to close the door!! One on my head, one on my arm and the other cuddled up to my neck.......so I took them into the house (via a cat carrier) and when I opened the carrier door, they walked out found a cozy spot on the carpet and started to fall asleep!! Except Beans, the Rooster,.......who remained quiet and happy in my arms......for the first time ever.........

I would put him in a different pen. Possibly a dog Vari crate? Since you are trading him anyway, he is not important to this particular pecking order and since he is causing so much trouble, I would just remove the little bugger.

You might could also put a temp fence in your run to separate them.

Quote:
You are so right Hoof and Hen.........I just havent come to terms with the fact that I DO HAVE TO get rid of him.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

But since that is the case, I guess I should separate him now........

This is so sad.......I am WAY to emotional to be a Chicken Mama!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom