I was only going to get 10

very cute.
kiki I think the carboard has a walking hole in it so they can freely walk from the left to the right which might not be clearly visible on the picture. So it won't stop it getting any dirtier but it might hold a fraction more heat in so I'd leave it.

Another thing that looks deceptive is how high the heat plate is or if it is filled with wood shaving underneath, it looks like they are standing ontop with very little space for them to get underneath it but it might just be the angle of the picture. They should be able to get underneath it.

edit: is it even a heat plate?

Sorry...one more thing...
I'd advise to remove the shavings for a few days just to make sure they don't eat them.
Thank you Kiki, they have been pecking on the shavings. When I get home this evening I will remove them. I lost one chick the first night but everyone did ok last night.

very cute.
kiki I think the carboard has a walking hole in it so they can freely walk from the left to the right which might not be clearly visible on the picture. So it won't stop it getting any dirtier but it might hold a fraction more heat in so I'd leave it.

Another thing that looks deceptive is how high the heat plate is or if it is filled with wood shaving underneath, it looks like they are standing ontop with very little space for them to get underneath it but it might just be the angle of the picture. They should be able to get underneath it.

edit: is it even a heat plate?
Yes I had a doorway cut into the partition. It is not a heat plate. I purchased the warming pad that was advertised especially for chicks. I did not like the way it worked because I ended up cleaning a lot of pasty butt the next morning. I read that the heat can cause pasty butt which makes sense. I revised my setup and put the heating element on top of a little wire basket. They seem to like that much better and bonus... they cannot poop on it now.

Yes I had a doorway cut into the partition. It is not a heat plate. I purchased the warming pad that was advertised especially for chicks. I did not like the way it worked because I ended up cleaning a lot of pasty butt the next morning. I read that the heat can cause pasty butt which makes sense. I revised my setup and put the heating element on top of a little wire basket. They seem to like that much better and bonus... they cannot poop on it now.

IMG_20210419_073704826.jpg

My chicks are doing pretty good. I have lost two of the original 20 both were RI red pullets.
I thought one of the little bantams would die last night. The larger chicks were running over him and he seemed disoriented. Of the six bantams I got on the same day he is the only one that seems so small. ( I don't know why I am calling it a He/Him...lol ).
I am going to be away overnight and I think I will take him and a couple of his buddies with me so the biggies will not hurt him.

Update: The brooder boxes stop looking nice after the first day. We lost 3 chicks in the first week. I went to the store for more feed and added a few more. I did not want to put them in the same box so I got a large plastic tub and put the new babies in there. In the new batch I picked up 6 more bantams (Don't ask me why, they are just cute) a couple RI pullets and a few chocolate brown color chicks that were labeled as EE.
First day one died then I found some round worms on the paper pad. I picked up some goat wormer and gave them that for a couple days, but did not finish the 5 day dosage because we had to go away for a couple days. Meanwhile they took off and started acting healthy and growing like crazy. I have still kept both batches separate except for the Sapphire Gems that go from one box to another.
To date I have 26 chicks 3-4 weeks old and they all seem strong and healthy.
I did not want feather footed chicks but it is what I ended up with in the mixed bantam bunch. I have one photo to attach of one of the weird looking chicks. It just happens that this little chick is also fairly aggressive. I have been calling him Curly... The Sapphire Gem is probably going to be named Dammit because I keep saying "Get back in your box Dammit"
Going to post the photo after because I am typing on the computer and the photo is on my phone.((rolling eyes))

I knew exactly what this post was about to say when I read the title.
"I was only going to get 10"

:lau
Update: The brooder boxes stop looking nice after the first day. We lost 3 chicks in the first week. I went to the store for more feed and added a few more. I did not want to put them in the same box so I got a large plastic tub and put the new babies in there. In the new batch I picked up 6 more bantams (Don't ask me why, they are just cute) a couple RI pullets and a few chocolate brown color chicks that were labeled as EE.
First day one died then I found some round worms on the paper pad. I picked up some goat wormer and gave them that for a couple days, but did not finish the 5 day dosage because we had to go away for a couple days. Meanwhile they took off and started acting healthy and growing like crazy. I have still kept both batches separate except for the Sapphire Gems that go from one box to another.
To date I have 26 chicks 3-4 weeks old and they all seem strong and healthy.
I did not want feather footed chicks but it is what I ended up with in the mixed bantam bunch. I have one photo to attach of one of the weird looking chicks. It just happens that this little chick is also fairly aggressive. I have been calling him Curly... The Sapphire Gem is probably going to be named Dammit because I keep saying "Get back in your box Dammit"
Going to post the photo after because I am typing on the computer and the photo is on my phone.((rolling eyes))

Attachments

• curly.jpg
    curly.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 2
Any idea what kind of chicken Curly is? Other than he was in the Bantam box at the store I know nothing about this kind of chicken. He is growing feathers from his knees and feet.

Any idea what kind of chicken Curly is? Other than he was in the Bantam box at the store I know nothing about this kind of chicken. He is growing feathers from his knees and feet.
It's hard to tell, but when you say that it's a bantam with hair feet ; my head immediately goes to "bantam cochin".
And hahaha @ "get back in your box dammit" :lau

Back
Top Bottom