I was told I have 30 days get rid of my hens...Help!

The point is having a winning argument, not necessarily enjoying the ride. Discrimination is legal if not against protected classes. So yes, one can legally discriminate against caged songbirds versus birds that have traditionally been used as livestock for food. As for dogs for protection--there can be laws specifically about that, too.

I live in Butte County too in Northern CA. We have over a third acre and I went through the butte county ordiances and found no where were we are unable to keep them. Their ordiances for livestock says animals may not run at large. Our girls are in a fence yard and do not go out of the backyard. They do not run at large. What street do you live on? Our neighbors said they do not mind our girls and for the most part the dogs in the neighborhood make more noise than our girls. We have seven girls and they are all named. Eveytime I go out back and call girls, they all come running. I just love my girls and they are my pets. Please keep me posted as I would fight this. Perhaps I can help since I live in Butte County too. Just let me know. My email address is [email protected]
Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you.
Sylvia

Last edited:
Atta girl Sylvia!
love.gif

I will keep you all posted...I call tomorrow morning when the office opens. I plan on fighting this and the more people with me the better! I have a friend who works for the local tv station and I'm going to contact her and find out if she can help me get the word out.

See, here in my township, we have several zones.. I am lucky, I am ag, but the guy right acrossed the street, he is zoned residential... I was very careful about checking the I was with in the right zone for my chickens. The only thing I can not have here is a cow or a pig. I can have a sheep or goat or even rabbits with my chickens... Their should be a zoning map with in your country, find your property, and see what exactly your property is zoned as, what zone code it has I mean, and then read what is allowed or not for your zone and be armed with that, or prepared to get "permited" to have your girls.

I don't eat sell my eggs either. But they do on occassion fall out of my fridge and get cracked, so I have to dispose of them in a fry pan, or meat loaf...

I'm in Butte County too and I'm registered with the State of CA as an egg producer so I'd think they would have denied my registration if I was in a county code violation. For reference for the Butte County BYCers, I live outside the town limits of Paradise, off lower Pentz Rd, technically Butte Valley but we chose to keep the Paradise address when they designated lower Paradise to Butte Valley. Anyway, if I can help my email is [email protected]. I've fought the county before when they said my property wasn't builable. After researching the laws I made them do the proper testing and low and behold, the property was builable after all!

I have a feeling this came from a complaint from a neighbor. The county is very understaffed and I doubt would just randomly look for chicken violators!

Good luck, keep us updated.
Pam

Here is the ordinace I found.

4-21 - Prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having the control of, or being the keeper of, any horse, mule, cow, goat, sheep, hog, ass, or domestic fowl, to permit the same to run at large upon or graze or feed upon any public street or unfenced lot in the county. Any animal so running at large may be impounded; and, if such animal is not claimed within a period of seventy-two (72) hours, such animal may be disposed of. Any animal impounded may be claimed by the owner if the owner pays the public health department the applicable fees as set forth in section 4-11 of this code.

(Ord. No. 3992, § 2 (part), 11-4-08)

YourLinkGoesHere http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=16065&stateID=5&statename=California&CustomBanner=16065.jpg&ImageClass=L&cl=16065

It
is under number 4 Animals

Very vague ordiance if you ask me.
However, I hope this helps.

Sylvia

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom