I was told .........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sc00ter4900, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    At 20 weeks my chicks would start laying eggs. For some reason no one told the chicks about it. My got my baby chicks May 13 2009. There over 20 weeks. There on normal pellets now. They get treats 5 times a week. They have a clean coop fresh water. Is there something I'm doing wrong ? Thanks Scotty

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Just takes time. What type chickens do you have? Some don't lay as soon as others.

3. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Hang in there, mine didn't start until they were almost 6 months old.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    20 weeks is the average. I've heard of them starting as early as 17-18 weeks and as late as 40 weeks. There are other factors at work: number of daylight hours (egg production slows down around this time of year and a hen that is old enough to lay at this time of year may wait until Spring when the days are getting longer again), breed, moult etc.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Unless you have some of the early laying breeds you were told wrong...sorry [​IMG] most are around 6 months and then now you need to factor in the shorter days and it could be longer before you see any.
    Our Easter Week chicks have just started to lay the past two or three weeks and then not all of them are laying yet. The white egg layers have been laying awhile now..they lay sooner most often.

6. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I was at 26 a day out of 28 birds, Michiagn weather went cold and now am getting 1 or 2. Hopefully they adjust soon.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Weather, day length, and stress all can play a role as well. Give them some time.

.....Alan.

8. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I also got my pullets on May 13, 2009 and only 3 out of 5 of them are laying at this time. Two Red Sex links and one BO. There is another BO and a GLW who still haven't laid. It all depends on the breed and the hen herself.

Edited to Add: Oh, and my first didn't start laying until about three weeks ago. The second two just this past week.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Out of 20 pullets, I had 1 laying at 18 weeks, 2 more at 20 weeks, and 2 more at 23 weeks. Tomorrow is 24 weeks and I have 5 out of 20 laying, or 25%. Of the 5 laying, I have 3 out of 7 Orpingtons and 2 out of 4 Delaware. Some of the others still have pink combs so they are a ways off. Depending on how many you have and somewhat breed dependent, 20 weeks is not a bad age for the first of them to start laying, but some will take longer.

You are probably not doing anything wrong. Your temperatures and hours of daylight could effect it some, but with pullets coming into lay, i would expect you to get some eggs soon. With the time of year, you will probably not get as many as if they were coming into lay in August, but you should get some.

Good luck!

10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    23 weeks - Ameraucana and columbian wyandotte

18 weeks - RIR & gold laced wyandotte

17 weeks - speckled sussex, Ameraucana #2, BO, blue wyandotte, cuckoo maran

and no one is even thinking about laying!!! I put a light out there to give them a few more hours of daylight, but they are still going to bed at 6:30.- so they are only up 12 hours [​IMG]

Patience is NOT my middle name

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by