I was wondering...

stm_96

Songster
Sep 27, 2018
I've been really considering getting a turkey, a bourdon red. Can they live peacefully among chickens? I was planning on getting one whenever they are available at my local feed store. But is it a bad idea?

Depends
1) Is blackhead in your area? http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1285/control-of-blackhead-disease/
2) it depends on the bird. I had a jake break a cockerels back trying to mate him and a hen with poults kill a chick... The other turkeys get along fine with the chickens.. outside of some pecking order things.
ETA should have at least 2 if hens..and toms need at least 3 hens.

So i just contact them and they should be able to tell me?
I didn't want to start out with a lot, i would like to just have 2. But what if they are raised with chicks, would i still have problems? My chickens roam 5 1/2 acres and so they'd be free range and not confined.
They should know, but budgets have been slashed and a lot of people that knew things left.

The jake was raised with chickens.. in fact it was his best buddy he hung out with all his life, that he squished.

more room is great, gives the chickens a place to get away from the turkeys

They should know, but budgets have been slashed and a lot of people that knew things left.

The jake was raised with chickens.. in fact it was his best buddy he hung out with all his life, that he squished.

more room is great, gives the chickens a place to get away from the turkeys
I've been so interested in getting some for a long time now, I'm thinking about really getting them instead of it being a just a thought. I just want to make sure that they can live peacefully with the chickens, i know there's a possibility that it won't work but that it can be done.

I've been so interested in getting some for a long time now, I'm thinking about really getting them instead of it being a just a thought. I just want to make sure that they can live peacefully with the chickens, i know there's a possibility that it won't work but that it can be done.
I have 9 turkeys with 50+ chickens... so yes it can be done .. just make sure the chickens have someplace to go so the turkeys can't corner them

Back
Top Bottom