I wish her dog would die... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people bring their dog I ask them POINT BLANK:

Have you had your dog around chickens ever ?

If I get even a hint that it is going to be a problem, I ask them to tie the dog, put it on a leash, or put it in their vehicle for their stay with me.

I tell them that if their dog harms my birds in any way I will hold them responsible and they will end up with a bill and a "do not com back"

I am very strick and to the point. Most always comply and tell me they did not know dogs were that much of a predator with chickens.

I explain that it is simply in their nature and a dog MUST be trained to be around livestock such as birds.

When they do not comply I simply tell them that the Guinea fowl will attack their pet and probably kill it if they go after the chickens.

It usually works becuase most know NOTHING about a Guinea except that they look really funny and mean.

I have a few "french" Guineas and these guys are darn big for a bird.

Quote:
Well I've told her a billion times to keep her dog at home, coz he has chased the chickens before. Whether she does it because she thinks she knows better, or because she's just silly, or whether or not she forgets, I don't know.
But because she lives just next door, every single time she comes over to spend time with dad around the pool, she brings the dog!
DAD has even told her not to bring him over, because he sheds something chronic, and ends up dropping hair everywhere on the pavers and the hair ends up in the pool and clogs the filter...
It just does not stop her!

Quote:
Thats the odd thing... My brothers dog, yes, was trained from the day he got it not to attack animals. ALL kinds of animals go into his backyard, and they do so safely. The dog will not attack anything, human or animal, that invades its space, unless my brother specifically tells him to. And this is from the breed that is commonly called vicious and killer.

My dogs, Pomeranians, one would expect out of them, that they would mercilessly chase the chickens. Poms are well known for being utterly insane and hyper... Mine have never been trained, they just don't seem to think about it, despite their hyperness. My youngest girl Emmy, if she sees a baby chicken, all she wants to do is look after it and she will sit by its cage and wait for it to come up and snuggle with her. My older Pom who is bonkers when it comes to how hyped up she can get, she simply doesn't care enough to bother chasing them.

HER dog is a labrador X. X with what I don't know, but he's almost the size of a shetland pony, he's enormous. And no matter how much she says she has trained him, she hasn't. I've seen her give him commands, and shout at him, and he completely ignores her unless she picks up a stick and threatens him. He's not been sent to obedience school, and up until I moved in, he'd never seen a chicken in his life, and she's been claiming from the day I arrived that her dog was trained not to attack chickens....
HOW? How can you train your dog not to attack something its never encountered before?
And although everyone says he's not a vicious dog, he has on multiple occasions, started fights with my brothers Pitbull. He's ended up being the one who comes off the worse coz he doesn't know how to fight! And on a few occasions, because of what he's done to my brothers dog, my brother has walked up to this chicken killer and threatened it and the dog has growled at him, and tried to bite him.
As sweet as he is, and a good a dog as he usually is, he is NOT what they keep saying he is.

Well I have recently had this same type problem...My husbands uncle liked to take his Bloodhound/Lab cross everywhere with him. This dog has never been on a leash nor does he have a collar. But he LOVES to ride in a car. Well he has killed a few of my chickens and even tore down our fences and let all my quail escape into the great unknown. Well I have told this man more than a few times to keep his dog at home cause next time he was on MY property he would disappear. He just laughed in my face and tried to explain that his dog was worth more than my $2 chickens. He even thought it was "cute" when Buddy had brought him the dead chicken and laid it at his feet. Well to make a longer story short, he brought Buddy over last Saturday for ME (well more my husband than me) to watch while he went to ride his motorcycle that he keeps in our garage. I got in my car and of course this 140lb dog was more than happy to jump in the back seat(keep in mind I had NO intention of actually getting rid of him at this point just figured that if he was with me he couldn't hurt anything.). So off we go to PetCo to pick up my great dane from the groomer there. When I was on my way inside a lady with a rescue told me that Buddy was the most gorgeous dog she had ever seen. I explained he was a chicken and kitten killer and asked her if she could take him into her rescue. She insisted that I give her buddy as a personal pet rather than put him in rescue. So I did. He is now neutered and basic obedience trained. Yes me and the lady keep in touch from time to time. I have even fostered for the rescue.

Maybe you should try to "rehome" him yourself and say he ran away. My husband told his uncle that Buddy ran down the drive to chase after him on his motorcycle and he never came back. I don't feel bad about him looking and wondering where Buddy is because he has done the same thing to us when he stole my 4 month old Great Dane puppy and gave it to his daughter that lives 100 miles away from us. We only found out cause when she came to visit she was telling us all about her new puppy her dad bought her for her 6th birthday and showed us pictures. We kept our mouths shut to her and let her keep him. Sorry this is so long.

Maybe you should try to "rehome" him yourself and say he ran away.

That's called theft. Dogs are considered property under the law.​

I am truly sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

But as far as wishing anything or anyone would die???
sad.png

2 wrongs don't make a right. Just remember that what comes around...goes around. So just sit back and wait for it to happen. It ALWAYS does!!! She will be payed back for her ignorance. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...but eventually.
Good luck, I hope you calm down and feel better soon!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
That's called theft. Dogs are considered property under the law.

Its not theft if they are left unattended on your property. I COULD have just shot the dog and chunked him in the road as road kill but I didn't. If the animal is taken while on its owners PRIVATE property its considered theft. It was left at MY home without permission. Its abandoned in our law books. If a dog wonders onto your property you can deal with it as you please.

Stupid dog owners!

Maybe you could get a shock collar for her
big_smile.png

Your dad really needs to put his foot down with her. Have a talk with your dad "man to man" so to speak about the losses you are incurring because of this dog. If she continues to bring the dog over, then the dog must be tied up, so it cannot get to your birds.

I really hope you can solve this. Good luck for you (and your dad). Sorry for the loss of your birds

Quote:
Here where I live, all dogs by law have to be microchipped with lifetime registration (which Sunny is).
The only way to hand him over to a new owner legitimately is to have her sign the paperwork over to someone else...

If he just "disappears" she would report it to the vets and council, and then the next time the new owner took him to the vet and he got scanned (as they always are every vet visit), he would be ID'd as belonging to her, and he'd be returned.
So.... no go there.

My neighbor's dogs are jerks, period. I know its not really their fault, my neighbor is a jerk and he raised jerk dogs. Anytime i would go to feed my rabbit the dogs would run to the fence barking and snarling and going crazy, as if i was teasing them or they never saw me before, day in and day out the same thing.

I tried talking nice to them, trying to calm them and that didnt work. I tried being mean and speaking very firm to them, that didnt work either. SO i brought my bull whip with me one day when i went to feed my rabbit. When the dog came running at me i gave a good crack towards the fence, (i didnt come anywhere near hitting the dog) but he took off running for his house. Now he just stands and watches me from afar. It took one time. I dont know if this can help you in anyway but just so you know, dogs cause problems for a lot of us too. And i feel bad for what happened to you, yes its the dog's natural instinct, but he isnt wild and chickens arent wild, that owner is responsible for what happened.

Laney Angel,
I have 7 dogs, 2 labs, 4 toy poodles, and a pit bull, and they would never and have never even given my chicks a second look as far as prey goes, however that being said I could not , and I don't believe anyone could give a 100% for sure, My dog would never kill another living thing,garauntee (sp). An Animal that crosses into our yard is considered fair game, the dogs do not see them as a part of our family or their pack. Yes if Im out with the dogs I can tell them to leave it! and they drop the chase. But Iam not always in the yard with them! The point is this, The dog is no more at fault for being what he is , than you are for having a disorder or being who you are, It is the dog owners responsibility to keep the dog under control. And your responsibility to make sure that your animals are well protected against preditors.
If your chicks are going under the fence into the neighbors yard that is your fault for not fixing the problem, the birds that were killed in your yard because the woman brought her dog over, That is her fault. I know your angry, and I would be too, but your father needs to step up and tell her that she needs to keep her dog at home or keep it restrained, but until that happens it is your responsibility to keep your birds contained while she is there with her dog. I understand how you feel, but kicking the dog in my opinion was wrong, you could have gotten the same response with a jerk on the collar or leash to make him look away.
you can get rid of the dog, but remember, there will always be another dog, raccoon, hawk, large cat, oppossum, there is an endless list of preditors that you could come across and unless you keep your chicks safe there going to be preyed upon it is a fact of life. And If and when that happens you won't have anyone to blame but nature and yourself.

I hope this doesn't come across as being harsh or hateful, And I am so sorry for your loss!
Put on your workng boots and go out and reinforce your yard for your birds sake, you could build or buy a small pen to put your chicks in inside the run to keep them safe from your other birds which will do what? Attack and kill the chicks, So chickens are preditors also in there own right. Again Im so sorry for you loss. Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom