I wonder about the necessity of over-paranoism concerning temp & humid

Well, what does it hurt to be over-paranoid?

Personally, I've had too high humidity just from the ambient humidity in the house (incubator was dry) that caused one chick to hatch "sticky" and another to drown in the shell, and I'm terrified of having "shrink-wrapped" chicks/ducklings. I don't worry about temperature because my little Brinsea holds it perfectly (+/- two tenths of a degree is the biggest variance I had incubating a batch of Cochin eggs in it. I'm trying it with my duck eggs this year)

Better to be safe than sorry (and discouraged) - especially if you're using a homemade incubator.

Quote:
OMG .... I about peed my pants when I got to the part that you dropped the whole carton!
lau.gif
I was laughing so hard ... Geeeeezzzzz, what ELSE could possibly go wrong!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story!
wink.png

It's still less trauma than what the USPS does!

I need to catch up here. BYC was down for me and I missed out on a lot of conversation.
In reply to bravo, as to my "family discount" I got a great deal anyhow! $4.50 is a great price for 8 chicks.
I have silkies due for lockdown in a few days now. I almost can't stand the waiting and this is so true about it being addicting, I was up all night watching the chicks pop out! I am thinking of not adjusting humidity at all on this batch. I think they will do just fine and if it works then I can add eggs(with lockdown date on them) as soon as there is an empty hole in a carton. I have great plans of going bigtime with chicks if this big batch sells! The 8 that just hatched sold like hotcakes.

Quote:
OMG .... I about peed my pants when I got to the part that you dropped the whole carton!
lau.gif
I was laughing so hard ... Geeeeezzzzz, what ELSE could possibly go wrong!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story!
wink.png

It's still less trauma than what the USPS does!

PS I never mentioned the fact that my one year old got onto the table with the carton of eggs and promptly begins flipping the carton over and over! I am surprized the lid stayed shut. Or the power outage that had us calling inlaws at midnight!
ep.gif

I feel I have to add to this, because my friend and I are currently experimenting with that whole "hatch it out of your bra" thing (grandmother, who grew up on a large-scale egg farm, swears it works). Well, it's hard to tell what's going on in my egg since it's so dark (need to get a stronger light), but hers has veins now, and she's had it since day one (not to mention it was in the fridge for two days beforehand). Not joking here!

hide.gif

lol

My other two are in a bator, not to worry.

The things I do for science
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Yes, but, you are in what, Louisiana, right? That is a lot more humid than some places.

I am in West Virginia, and I find that I get a much better hatch rate if I do watch the humidity and make sure it is right. The relative humidity where you live makes a difference, and so does the place the eggs come from; at least that is what I am told.

I try to aim at humidity between 50 and 60 while incubating until the lockdown, and then between 60 and 70. What do others do? I have seen a lot of discussion on it.

Of course, I don't have a Sportsman. Maybe they are less picky than a smaller incubator.
smile.png

That was an interesting account from the OP!

I have eggs coming tomorrow or the next day, I have the incubator all ready. I hope they do well. Heritage RIR's.

Catherine

Quote:
SHE PUT HER BRA IN THE FRIDGE AND IT GREW VAINS??? I GUESS IF SHE HAD I IT SINCE DAY ONE IT WOULD BE GROWING VAINS...
lau.gif

Quote:
SHE PUT HER BRA IN THE FRIDGE AND IT GREW VAINS??? I GUESS IF SHE HAD I IT SINCE DAY ONE IT WOULD BE GROWING VAINS...
lau.gif

SORRY, I COULDN'T RESIST. THAT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO BUILD A FLOCK! ONE AT A TIME?

Quote:
lau.gif

SORRY, I COULDN'T RESIST. THAT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO BUILD A FLOCK! ONE AT A TIME?

Er...glad I'm so amusing.
tongue.png
I guess I meant to say...the egg's never been under a hen or in a bator, she began the incubation process by popping it in the bra.

It's just an...eggsperiment, IF there is a chick I know someone who will be more than happy to take it if it needs a home. Not really planning to do all our hatching this way lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom