IA here

We are getting rid of most of our chickens to get some better quality ones for the kids to show.The kids are mostly wanting Cochin's both bantam and standard but may consider other breeds as long as they are good quality for showing.They will only be showing for 4-H and open class at fairs.Let me know if you have any or know of some fairly close to NW Iowa or anyone that is traveling this part of the state.
Hi Mike;
I know Craig, Black Cochin bantams , right here on the IA thread, has show winning stock and sells bantam cochins in a number of varieties. We will be seeing craig at the State Fair and I am sure if you work something out with him we could bring them back if that would help? Have you already had your 4-H fair?
Eric

I sent Craig a message just waiting to here back from him and we will go from there.We had our fair last week.My daughter won Champion Other with a pheasant and Reserve Champion Poultry with a black Jersey Giant rooster.She took 14 birds all together and got all blues except for 3 of them.I'm surprised they did that good with the molt going on now with most of them.My 6 year old boy wants to start showing next year {open class} so we are looking at getting some more birds.We have a lot of different breeds of chickens but would like to go with just 2-4 different breeds.My wife likes the large cochins and our daughter likes bantam cochins and the boy likes them all. I think we had around 200 total half 4-H and half open class.We will be losing a couple kids next year do to graduation and they had 35 of the birds in 4-H.

I sent Craig a message just waiting to here back from him and we will go from there.We had our fair last week.My daughter won Champion Other with a pheasant and Reserve Champion Poultry with a black Jersey Giant rooster.She took 14 birds all together and got all blues except for 3 of them.I'm surprised they did that good with the molt going on now with most of them.My 6 year old boy wants to start showing next year {open class} so we are looking at getting some more birds.We have a lot of different breeds of chickens but would like to go with just 2-4 different breeds.My wife likes the large cochins and our daughter likes bantam cochins and the boy likes them all. I think we had around 200 total half 4-H and half open class.We will be losing a couple kids next year do to graduation and they had 35 of the birds in 4-H.

I heard that Clay County air has an open class but not sure. The 4-H registration rules are a bit confusing to me so I did not get all the birds registered in May I should have. But we will have some others showing at Clay County.
That must be an awsome show! Ours was not near as big. You'll have to share some secrets with me.

I sent you a PM. Think about what you want and get back to me. I really recommend Blacks but have many other varieties.

Got the info for the Mason City show on the 23rd yesterday, a double show (2 days) and junior show, 4 judges. if anyone needs a copy, i can email it to them. It is an APA/ABA Special meet. With - so far- Plymouth rock Fanciers Club 1 and 2 meet. Cochin International Club 1 State meet and 2 Special meet. Late meets and Specials will be posted at the show.

ETA: September 22nd and 23rd. Entries due Sept. 7th.

Last edited:

Sent you a PM The person I mentioned will be showing at the Iowa State Fair. Eric can attest to the quality of Mark Peterson's birds .

I have some bantam Buckeyes that I have hatched from Duane Urch trio that I bought from him last fall, also have silver penciled rocks LF from Horstman's chicks from this spring, also partridge rock LF, some from Horstman, also have SLW bantam, and bantam rocks in barred ,buff, and black blue and splash from show stock all hatched this spring and summer, I haven't shown, but would like to have some of my birds be shown, let me know if you'd like to set up a time and day to come see what I have!!

I have some bantam Buckeyes that I have hatched from Duane Urch trio that I bought from him last fall, also have silver penciled rocks LF from Horstman's chicks from this spring, also partridge rock LF, some from Horstman, also have SLW bantam, and bantam rocks in barred ,buff, and black blue and splash from show stock all hatched this spring and summer, I haven't shown, but would like to have some of my birds be shown, let me know if you'd like to set up a time and day to come see what I have!!
Will you attending the State Fair this weekend to check out the poultry show?
ETA: I don't know where you live but you have a few birds i would be interested in. If you wish to show, the Mason City show, in September, would be a perfect opportunity for you! PM me if you can be in the Des Moines area this weekend.

Last edited:
Will you attending the State Fair this weekend to check out the poultry show?
ETA: I don't know where you live but you have a few birds i would be interested in. If you wish to show, the Mason City show, in September, would be a perfect opportunity for you! PM me if you can be in the Des Moines area this weekend.

Agree that the Mason City show would be a good show.Actually it is a double show..

Back
Top Bottom