IA here

Heading to Waverly tomorrow! I'm taking an empty pet carrier with me despite my wife's threats. It's a good thing she loves me.

Welcome! Do you have any pictures of your coop? I'm in Boone...got chickens in February and am loving it! What kind did you get?
. I just got chickens about 3 weeks ago, I got 2 red star,1 black star,barred rock, silver lace and one buff Orpington. Absolutely loving them so far. I have pics of my coop just not sure how to post them yet.

HI! Can anyone tell me how NPIP in Iowa works that has been through it? Since my flock is growing and growing, I find myself getting more into the hobby and I think NPIP certification would be good. It would be fun to get into showing them someday I think too. From what I've heard it can vary by state and by tester, but I'm hoping someone can give me a general idea on how it works:
About how much is it?
Is this per bird?
Is it just for chickens, or would it include ducks, peacocks, etc. too?
Does every single bird get tested or just a sampling?
Does it take a long time to get the results and paperwork?
How long does the appointment take and is there anything special I should do with my coops?
Do you have to keep doing them all every year?
I think my flock is healthy and started with birds from NPIP sellers, but what if it turns out they're carriers of something? Would they kill all my birds?
Are positive results common?

I didn't really want to call the state office until I have a better idea on if I'm ready to do it and can afford it right now.

Thanks guys! This board has so much helpful info!

HI! Can anyone tell me how NPIP in Iowa works that has been through it? Since my flock is growing and growing, I find myself getting more into the hobby and I think NPIP certification would be good. It would be fun to get into showing them someday I think too. From what I've heard it can vary by state and by tester, but I'm hoping someone can give me a general idea on how it works:
About how much is it?
Is this per bird?
Is it just for chickens, or would it include ducks, peacocks, etc. too?
Does every single bird get tested or just a sampling?
Does it take a long time to get the results and paperwork?
How long does the appointment take and is there anything special I should do with my coops?
Do you have to keep doing them all every year?
I think my flock is healthy and started with birds from NPIP sellers, but what if it turns out they're carriers of something? Would they kill all my birds?
Are positive results common?

I didn't really want to call the state office until I have a better idea on if I'm ready to do it and can afford it right now.

Thanks guys! This board has so much helpful info!
I am a certified tester and will try to hit the highlights and hope I get it right from memory. Cost depends on what the tester charges and can vary depending on how far they drive and how many birds the expences have to be spread over. Every bird in a breeding laying flock gets tested. The NPIP year runs from July to July. If I find a positive test the first thing I am supposed to do is retest that bird. I then HAVE to report it to the state. Positive TP is very uncommon but can happen. At that point the State would retest and make the proper call on course of action. If you become NPIP certified you agree not to buy a non tested bird or from an non certified flock. Failure to follow that could cause loss of certification. If you want to show you can test the select birds for the show and the test is valid for 90 days.

Craig

Hi all,

Have not posted in awhile, but wanted to show off my new babies, they are 2 weeks old now. All Ameracauna (really EE's). They are so fluffy and cute. Hubby and his friend are building me a new 10x8 coop this weekend!

This is when they were 2 days old.

Back
Top Bottom