IA here

Finished up the Sac County Fair today.We had a total of about 100 birds intered.My 14 year old daughter did very well in 4-H for showing this year,she ended up with around 20 blues and 2 reds,she won Grand Champion Poultry with a Jersey Giant rooster,she also took Champion Individual Chicken,Champion Bantam with a White Cochin hen and Reserve Champion Bantam with a Black Cochin rooster.My 7 year old boy also did well in Open Class with some of the left over birds his

sister didn't take,he had 8 blue ribbon.Zach Westhoff from LeMars was the judge this year and did a Great Job with the kids.

Beautiful birds! I took some of Iowa Blues to the Mason City open show a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun!

Anyone have any Silver Laced Wyandottes and/or Black Copper Maran pullets for sale? I'm looking for one of each.

Looking for some girls that are around 20 weeks; can be slightly younger or older as long as they are under one year.

If you have any available, please PM me. I'm located in Somers and willing to drive about an hour. Thank you!

Another Iowan here. Fremont County =). We have dogs, cats, rabbits, Quail, and a massive garden to supplement us all! Id love to get some sort of quiet ducks to teach my collie some gentle herding on. Anyone have any suggestions? Id love to start from eggs. I enjoy getting to play the roll of momma bird =)

Another Iowan here. Fremont County =). We have dogs, cats, rabbits, Quail, and a massive garden to supplement us all! Id love to get some sort of quiet ducks to teach my collie some gentle herding on. Anyone have any suggestions? Id love to start from eggs. I enjoy getting to play the roll of momma bird =)
The Muscovies are quiet. Very easy to keep and very tasty too.

Looking for Jersey Giants,dark RIR's and Australorps,need hens but might take a few roos also.I have some really nice Buff Cochin bantams and Silver Penciled Wyandots that I might sell if anyone is interested,they came from Urch's.

How quickly do they mature? They certanly have funny little faces =). Ive raised a couple geese as pets before.. Is it a pretty simmular process? how much space do they require?
They take 35 days to hatch but they seem to grow up quick. The oldest of my babies this year are now 2 months old and pretty good sized. Normally I let them run the farm but my young dog was a bit of a problem for them. I still have a few adults that do as they like, but the babies are penned up in a 50 X 70 pen with a shelter and baby pools. They are great flyers so if you don't want them doing that you need to clip a wing. I'm not sure if they would be good for herding practice or not. Runner ducks are perfect, just not quiet.

They sounds like a great breed, and the faces are to die for, lol. I might need to hatch a few. If they get too loud, they can always go live at the cabin. Do they need alot of extra winter housing? Would an old dog house work? Are they friendly? Darn little runner ducks. I love their funny bottle shape, but just cant risk the noise right now =(. People can sure let dogs bark all night, but a few peeps from a chicken or ducks, and then they have a problem!

So I have a question. Do any of the farm stores around DM carry cornish cross broilers in the fall? I am wanting some meatbirds to do this fall since the experience went so well this spring. Hoovers has them for a little over $1 each and was thinking of ordering some. Problem is, I can only manage about 15 due to fridge/freezer space, cost, etc, but to order them I would have to get 25. I was hoping that Theisen's, TSC, Farm&City on the southside, or somewhere around here would carry them like they do in the spring. Since this is my first year with chickens I just can't remember if any of them had chicks in the fall. Anyway, any help would be great.

They sounds like a great breed, and the faces are to die for, lol. I might need to hatch a few. If they get too loud, they can always go live at the cabin. Do they need alot of extra winter housing? Would an old dog house work? Are they friendly? Darn little runner ducks. I love their funny bottle shape, but just cant risk the noise right now =(. People can sure let dogs bark all night, but a few peeps from a chicken or ducks, and then they have a problem!
I have babies due any time now if you're interested, I promise they won't get loud :) Mine preferred to hang out in the horse barn, some place they can stay dry. They are a pretty good sized bird, so they would need a decent size shelter. Snow doesn't bother them, they would hang out on the top of the snow drifts in the sun. I gave them a 50 gallon rubber maid tank with a heater in it, but they don't really need something that big in the winter.

So I have a question. Do any of the farm stores around DM carry cornish cross broilers in the fall? I am wanting some meatbirds to do this fall since the experience went so well this spring. Hoovers has them for a little over $1 each and was thinking of ordering some. Problem is, I can only manage about 15 due to fridge/freezer space, cost, etc, but to order them I would have to get 25. I was hoping that Theisen's, TSC, Farm&City on the southside, or somewhere around here would carry them like they do in the spring. Since this is my first year with chickens I just can't remember if any of them had chicks in the fall. Anyway, any help would be great.
I don't usually see chicks in the fall but if you place an order, I don't think you would have trouble with the extra. Just list them on craigslist and sell them live if you don't want to butcher them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom