IA here

Couple questions... Anyone know the laws for selling Eggs and Meat Birds to restaurants and such in Iowa? I assume there needs to be licensing of some sort and other requirements.

also I'm looking for a some started pullets (15-18 weeks old) that aren't red feathered lol.

any help or a point in the right direction.
thanks

Couple questions... Anyone know the laws for selling Eggs and Meat Birds to restaurants and such in Iowa? I assume there needs to be licensing of some sort and other requirements.

also I'm looking for a some started pullets (15-18 weeks old) that aren't red feathered lol.

any help or a point in the right direction.
thanks
I think you can read the requirements on the Department of Ag website. The Restaurant in question may be able to tell you what they need as well.

Looking for wild waterfowl breeders in Iowa or southern Minnesota.
Hi Mike;
We had a really good showing this year at the Dickinson County Fair. 86 birds entered 82 made it. There were no waterfowl or turkeys/Guineas this year, all chickens. Our son David, had Champion of Show with a sassy little, black MGB that knows how to pose. David was also Champion Showman! Judge was Zeb Skow from Fairmont, MN., He was super, I enjoyed watching him work with the kids, and would recommend him to others. There were 20 exhibitors and some super nice birds ... Javas, Cubalayas, even a Crevecour that was misidentified as a polish. It was a fun time but a late night, the show started at 7pm.

I have been so busy that I have not been on here in what feels like forever! We have been daytime free ranging them on our property and they are loving it. They just crack us up...stupid chickens. LOL! We got our first soft egg almost a month ago, but then nothing. A week later there was our first good egg in the nesting boxes, right where it belonged! Which is good because we were worried with them free ranging most of the time that they would be laying somewhere else and we might not find them.

We would get 1 one one day, then nothing for a couple of days. This has been going on the last couple of weeks. Of our 11 layers (all 11 we bought for layers turned out to be hens! Awesome Theisen's bin selecting!) we know that one of the gold stars is laying, maybe the other gold star as well. I have yet to see any of the 5 barred rocks or the 4 RIRs nesting. BUT, I went into the garage to find a tool the other day and found 7 eggs in a little nest...then I did more searching and right outside the garage door in a patch of day lillies I found almost 20 more piled up!

So, apparently my stupid chickens have been very busy OUTSIDE the coop! LOL! And this week was our first "official-in-the-nesting-box" dozen of eggs, and they were JUST eaten for breakfast. The kids are super excited.

Had a good time at the Warren Co. fair yesterday, and it was interesting seeing the chickens from a different point of view now that we have some of our own. Our kids are already planning 4H birds, even though they are only 7, 5, and 4. Some pretty birds there for sure but am very interested to look at those at the state fair in a couple of weeks!! I must admit that it is giving my wife all kinds of ideas on pretty laying birds she wants to add to our 11.

Last edited:
Finished up the Sac County Fair today.We had a total of about 100 birds intered.My 14 year old daughter did very well in 4-H for showing this year,she ended up with around 20 blues and 2 reds,she won Grand Champion Poultry with a Jersey Giant rooster,she also took Champion Individual Chicken,Champion Bantam with a White Cochin hen and Reserve Champion Bantam with a Black Cochin rooster.My 7 year old boy also did well in Open Class with some of the left over birds his

sister didn't take,he had 8 blue ribbon.Zach Westhoff from LeMars was the judge this year and did a Great Job with the kids.

Back
Top Bottom