IA here

My sister and I were planning on coming but now she might have to work, I'm not sure if I'll come by myself or not. I'm looking for some chocolate old english game bantam hens. I don't have anything for sale but my sister has some Seramas and some young peafowl.

My newest additions! :)

Coturnix Quail. standards and Texas A&M's... these are the first 4, (may lose pip though) :( But they are the first 4 of 20, so 16 more in the coming weeks... waiting impatiently for them to hatch!

I have a kuhl 6 hole nest box 4 gallon waterer and I believe its a 50pd range feeder they r brand new never used stored in our shed for the last few years. I bought them before i moved here and they r way to big for my 3 brahma bantams lol. Is anyone interested in buying them?

What does the waterer look like? Picture?

Hello all Iowans!! My family lives on an just over an acre of land in Eastern Iowa. We have been tossing around the idea of starting a small "hatchery" as a side business. I was looking for advice from anyone who does this, or knows someone who does? Also, what kinds of breeds ya'll think would be the best? Should we do small chickens that are good for show/fun, or more dual-purpose? Or ones that are in critical status? We were thinking that 2-3 breeds is what we have space for.

Thanks!

Hello all Iowans!! My family lives on an just over an acre of land in Eastern Iowa. We have been tossing around the idea of starting a small "hatchery" as a side business. I was looking for advice from anyone who does this, or knows someone who does? Also, what kinds of breeds ya'll think would be the best? Should we do small chickens that are good for show/fun, or more dual-purpose? Or ones that are in critical status? We were thinking that 2-3 breeds is what we have space for.

Thanks!

Licensing is a big expense. Do it right or don't do it. I think that you need to pick a breed that is an efficient layer. Only sell straight run or you will be over run with cockerels. Only way you get enough chicks to offset expenses. My incubator cost is high and operating expenses larger than I expected. Do you know where you would sell the extras? Feeding chicks get expensive in a hurry. Do an actual business plan. Pencil it out. Determine the market and don't overproduce. Show birds are great. I raise them. They tend to not be great layers and I lose $ on everyone I sell. That said I do it for fun and wouldn't have it any other way.

Back
Top Bottom