IA here

Licensing is a big expense. Do it right or don't do it. I think that you need to pick a breed that is an efficient layer. Only sell straight run or you will be over run with cockerels. Only way you get enough chicks to offset expenses. My incubator cost is high and operating expenses larger than I expected. Do you know where you would sell the extras? Feeding chicks get expensive in a hurry. Do an actual business plan. Pencil it out. Determine the market and don't overproduce. Show birds are great. I raise them. They tend to not be great layers and I lose $ on everyone I sell. That said I do it for fun and wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks for the advice. I saw the pics of your new building. Amazing!!! Would LOVE a set-up like that! We would probably do LF chickens, so if we had extras, we could always put them in the freezer. I have a cochin bantam rooster that was given to us as a chick. He just started crowing this month, funniest sound ever. LOL. He doesn't look anything like yours though. He is skinnier, and much more colorful. People we got him from just said he was a cochin bantam. But he's funny and fun to watch. :)

Thanks for the advice. I saw the pics of your new building. Amazing!!! Would LOVE a set-up like that! We would probably do LF chickens, so if we had extras, we could always put them in the freezer. I have a cochin bantam rooster that was given to us as a chick. He just started crowing this month, funniest sound ever. LOL. He doesn't look anything like yours though. He is skinnier, and much more colorful. People we got him from just said he was a cochin bantam. But he's funny and fun to watch. :)
Thank you. What I spend on bedding alone would surprise many. Health of a flock is not inexpensive. Good luck in whatever you decide.to do.

Hello Iowa, NE Iowa here. If anyone is interested in Call Ducks I have a few in need of a new home. 3 months old, free to a good home.

Hi! I am from over by Gilman/Marshalltown area. We just got our hens in August. Really loving having chickens and fresh eggs!

Time to get Iowa back on the map here! I am starting to get chicken fever, I will be separating my birds in to breeding cages in a couple of weeks. I have lavender orps that I have raised for several years, I am in search of a Black Orpington rooster, English type. Also in search of Chocolate Orps, if anyone has any, please PM me with price or what breeds I have that you may like to strike up a trade!
Spring just can't get here soon enough......

I'm with you chickeemama! I have an early start though. I have month old starts and 3 day old chicks in the basement, and more in the incubator.
big_smile.png
Come on spring!
Month old Iowa Blue chicks

IAB pullet giving my cat the eye.

From Diesel and the Silver pen

Day old Smokey Iowa Blues

Day old Silver Iowa Blues

From my Smokey Iowa Blue flock.
Cadillac and his ladies.

Last edited:
Hey all. I have had chickens for about 3 years now, and have just been dabbling in all sorts of breeds to see what I like best. I really haven't found any that I favor, other than the Wyandotte's. Especially the gold laced and silver laced. We have finally figured out that we need 14 laying hens to have enough eggs for daily consumption and a few left over for baking or giving away. But I want chickens that are good layers, can handle the cold, but aren't all brown eggs. I got some brown leghorns, hoping they would lay as well as the red stars, only for white eggs, so far, not so much.
barnie.gif
I get 1 egg about every other day from them. I do have a light on in my coop that is on a timer. I have Aracaunas, Leghorns, Red stars, and some mixed breeds. (I know the Red Stars are great producers, and I don't mind having some in the flock, but I want a variety.) Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom