IA here

My ducks just laid their first egg yesterday. Froze solid. Of course, laying in the pen instead of their duck house so I put out some nest boxes in the outdoor pen. Today I got the egg before it froze. I leave for work at 5:30 am and let ducks out of their pen at that time. I wonder how many frozen eggs I will find when I get home today? And will they lay them all over the yard too?
barnie.gif

I haven't seen any duck eggs yet, fortunately. I have enough broody hens that keep the eggs from freezing in the coop. That's the bright side of that problem I guess.
roll.png

are you getting standards or bantams.

I was thinking standards for the breeds I want to get, but since I have to order 25 chicks and I want at most three different breeds (I would need to order a few of each breed to raise my chances of getting at least one female) it would be easy enough to have bantams as well. They don't have any kind of restriction on sending different sized breeds together.

I was thinking standards for the breeds I want to get, but since I have to order 25 chicks and I want at most three different breeds (I would need to order a few of each breed to raise my chances of getting at least one female) it would be easy enough to have bantams as well. They don't have any kind of restriction on sending different sized breeds together.[/quote
I will see what they have for bantams and let you know

I should say that the two breeds I REALLY want to get are their Creme Brabanter and Black Copper Marans. Thinking maybe another blue egg layer for my flock since blue eggs are a big hit here.

Woot! In the past 9 days I've gotten 8 eggs and only one was frozen. I have 9 hens (one just had a sex change) and 2 drakes. As soon as more ducks start laying I'll start collecting for incubation.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom