IA here

Hey everyone! I'm from Marshalltown, IA and I just joined BYC. I am incubating my first batch of egg. I have 8 eggs going right now in my classroom that I got from a coworker.

Is there anyone from Des Moine area that can give me some insight as to good areas to live around Des Moines? My husband works for the government and possibly could have a transfer there next winter.

I grew up in DSM. There are a lot of really nice suburbs in the DSM area as well as neighborhood in Des Moines.

I’m looking specifically for a country home on a few acres but not a horrible commute to the federal building which is on walnut in downtown... do you know which direction from town is a nice area for this?

I’m looking specifically for a country home on a few acres but not a horrible commute to the federal building which is on walnut in downtown... do you know which direction from town is a nice area for this?

To find a country acreage, you'd have to look outside the metro area. Going east of the metro there would be Bondurant/Mitchellville/Altoona area which is nice. Otherwise if you go South you could go out by Norwalk or Indianola. I personally grew up in the Altoona area and loved it. It's pretty close to the metro and the houses are more reasonably priced.

And how exciting for your eggs. What type of chickens are you hatching?

I think they are 'mutts' if you can have mutts of chickens. I got them from a coworker who has a mixed flock.

Oh and thank you for ideas of places to live! I’ve already seen a home in Altoona as well as a home in Norwalk that I would love.

Oh and thank you for ideas of places to live! I’ve already seen a home in Altoona as well as a home in Norwalk that I would love.

You really can't go wrong with the DSM area. Everywhere is pretty nice. I like the area East of DSM because I feel like it's easier to get into downtown than from the west side. I was also an east of DSM kid so that probably affects my opinion. lol

Back
Top Bottom