IA here

Hey Iowans! I have 2 bantam black cochin cockerels that need new homes, TECHNICALLY I am not allowed any roosters because I live in town but...I took 6 bantam chicks and as we all know, it's a gender crap shoot with bantams. I ended up with 4 cockerels and 2 pullets (2 of the chicks are OEGB red pyle, 1 pullet 1 cockerel). I just can't part with one of the cochin cockerel's, he's so sweet and the OEGB pair are emotionally attached to each other so that leaves me with either get rid of all of them (because of the town law of no roosters) or keep the OEGB's and the one cochin pullet and the one cochin cockerel (breaking the law) oh I don't know what to do, all I know is that I definitely can't hide 4 crowing cockerels much longer.
If anyone would like at least 2 of the cockerels or wants to trade for 2 bantam cochin hens, I'm okay with that.
I am so sad making this post, I love my babies but I knew going in what the risk was, right?
Anyway. Thats where I am, if you would like them, shoot me a message.

Hello fellow Iowans! I'm hoping we won't end up in the same boat as the post above as we are also in-town. We're new to chickens and have 12 chicks in the brooder now. They're about 3 weeks old and we hope to put them in coop somewhere between weeks 4-6 weeks. We're finalizing our coop plans and based on everything I've read, I would love to use Hemp for the bedding. Has anyone been able to find affordable Hemp in Iowa/Nebraska (we're in SW Iowa)?

Hello fellow Iowans! I'm hoping we won't end up in the same boat as the post above as we are also in-town. We're new to chickens and have 12 chicks in the brooder now. They're about 3 weeks old and we hope to put them in coop somewhere between weeks 4-6 weeks. We're finalizing our coop plans and based on everything I've read, I would love to use Hemp for the bedding. Has anyone been able to find affordable Hemp in Iowa/Nebraska (we're in SW Iowa)?
You should check with your city to find out what laws are in place regarding the chickens. In our town, the coop has to be in the backyard, 40 feet from any lot line, there can be no discernable smell, they must be contained in a way that they cannot escape and become a nuisance, no roosters, chickens and ducks only. 10 hens only (pertains to all birds, any combination of ducks and chickens but only 10 total) and if neighbors complain, you have to get rid of them. You need to find out what your laws are so that you don't lose them.
As for the hemp bedding, I've never used it myself and I hear good things about it for the most part but I have read some serious caveats. Mainly that it is stringy and can cause crop impaction and death and also that it is a great home for mites and fleas, the other complaint about it is that in actual use, it is not as absorbent as it claims to be. Straw and hay are the same, plus straw and hay molds easily so it has to be changed quite often. I only use pine shavings myself but have done extensive research on sand which seems to be a fairly decent bedding option, there are downsides to any bedding you choose. You can check with any local feed store (TSC, Orscheln's etc) for the hemp bedding or look online for suppliers, Amazon has a 33 pound bag for 66 dollars if you want to spend that much (seems like a lot to me...). Other than online, I don't know anywhere specific in SW Iowa. Like I said, try TSC, Orscheln's and you can probably find it in small bags at WalMart.
oh! and, we are all about pictures here on BYC....please send pictures of your babies! 😍
Finally...:welcome

Hi there, I'm in Waukee trying to start having chickens.

Last time I looked, it was easy enough to find adult birds, but avian flu, high demand, or my mistakes in the search have me still wanting.

Since I'm only allowed 6 hens, it seemed smart to just find pullets and avoid setting up a brooder.

Any advice to help me find them would be appreciated.

Hi there, I'm in Waukee trying to start having chickens.

Last time I looked, it was easy enough to find adult birds, but avian flu, high demand, or my mistakes in the search have me still wanting.

Since I'm only allowed 6 hens, it seemed smart to just find pullets and avoid setting up a brooder.

Any advice to help me find them would be appreciated.
Hi! Welcome to BYC. I have no idea where you might find chickens near you but try craigslist, I saw a bunch of chickens on there the other day around Des Moines. I saw a listing near Ames, I know that's a little bit of a drive but it may be worth it, they have a bunch to choose from.

Hi! Welcome to BYC. I have no idea where you might find chickens near you but try craigslist, I saw a bunch of chickens on there the other day around Des Moines. I saw a listing near Ames, I know that's a little bit of a drive but it may be worth it, they have a bunch to choose from.
I almost drove to St Louis for some Seramas, but the no rooster policy meant I couldn't even get those.

I'll keep an eye out.

Welcome to the flock! How many did you get? Can we see pictures? Have you had chickens before? Please ask questions, there is no stupid question, we are here to help!
:celebrate

Welcome to the flock! How many did you get? Can we see pictures? Have you had chickens before? Please ask questions, there is no stupid question, we are here to help!
:celebrate
I only have 6 hens, all I'm allowed out here in Waukee.

It's not glamour shots, but I'll try to attach the pics I took today.

These are my first chickens, but I think we'll be okay after they get adjusted.

Attachments

• PXL_20220518_173319119.jpg
    PXL_20220518_173319119.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220518_173314677.jpg
    PXL_20220518_173314677.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220518_173310893.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220518_173310893.MP.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom