IA here

When we got to the hotel here in Omaha, I brought down three Orloffs and 3 Delaware for some nice folks to pick up, they were 2-3 months old. and had never felt the suns warmth. As I held them, they just sank in my hand and closed their beady litttle eyes, absorbing that wonderful warmth of the sun. The boy who got them was so anxious to get them, he took them in the back of their Toyota Sequoia? and wanted to let them out of the pet taxi! The Mom said "oh wait honey". And she closed the back end! She was gonna let him set them free for the ride home! I would not want to be in that rig....... Nervous young birds that have never traveled, oh my goodness! They were delighted with their first chickens. They also have marans and a couple other breeds LF on order that will arrive as starts. Nice to know we have another new memeber of the backyard chicken fraternity. I have mentioned BYC yet, did not want to overwhelm them! Mom is still a bit nervous about it cause she knows nothing about chickens. She did say her husband did not want crowers but she wanted them just to wake him up!

That reminds me, Jason, did you get all creatures great and small rounded up from Troys van or are they still in their? LOL.

Guess next check in will be in St. Louis. Got a long annoying layover.
roll.png

It really feels like spring! The mud is awful but all the critters are happy except the cats. My usual followers are complaining 'cause they don't have the knee high mud boots that I do! The chickens are in spring mode too! I went from 2-3 eggs a day to 6-7 the last 3 days including IA blues! I should have plenty to put in the bator for the Spring Chick hatch! Every one I have checked has been fertile
big_smile.png

Quote:
Big Blue is looking lovely! Nice lacing on his chest! My roos this age are getting frisky but if they try anything the girls dump them off and thrash them. I bet that's pretty hard on their feelings
tongue.png

The warm weather is wonderful. The mud is not.

Saturday, DH hauled off a junk van out of the field next to my hen house. As soon as they pulled it up out of the snow, mice went everywhere! All at once the noise from the hen house was deafening! Those mice had run over there only to discover a carnivorous flock of miniature T-rex waiting for them. That was the quickest I ever saw a bunch of mice dispatched! What the hens didn't get, the Labrador did!

I just love Spring-Clean-up on the farm!

Well let the weaning begin. This particular litter of pups are definate nipple biters. Lily has started weaning them because of it. They are 4 1/2 weeks old now and can eat soft food (in fact they are pigs) so I am not too worried. She still lets them nurse but once they start to bite she growls at them and leaves. They get this hurt look on their faces like "What did we do
sad.png
"

Back
Top Bottom