IA here

Well there was absolutely no sign of any more eggs hatching so we opened up the remaining 9. Every single one of them had development in them. It looks like they quit around day 14. This is a still air and I did have some temp spikes. It was worse when I blocked up sides of the incubator rather than open it to turn them. So maybe this next time I will just turn them all myself. I also need to get a fan set up of some kind to move some air in there.

The one thing though is that I was able to differentiate between the non fertile and fertile eggs. I had pulled some before that were not fertile. I just couldn't tell at the day 18 point enough that I felt comfortable enough to pull the quiters.

I cleaned up the bator good and I have it out in the sun right now. I will get it plugged back in and going and get up to temp yet tonight and maybe set new ones in the morning. I guess 4 hatched on my first time is ok.

I have one of my Ia Blue eggs peeping right now. I think two of them are due tomorrow and the rest are due a couple of days later.

4 is a good number to start and get your feet wet. You should be proud of what you learned if nothing else!

Quote:
So I best be getting him registered? Things tend to slip my mind since I'm off work for the summer (lunch lady)....you'd think I was on vacation or something....
wee.gif

I'd better dig up that pamphlet I saw it in or just go ahead and call the extention office.

We have something going on that he can't make it to the fishing camp, although he would love it. Both my boys start summer football camp this coming week.

Did you ever read the post where I shared how I only have one of the four bantys still living? She has integrated well with the large chickens. It's rather cute seeing her be part of the flock. I might just have to always have one banty around just to make me smile.

The other night I went in to lock them up in their coop and all of the chickens were roosting on one roost. Usually they roost here and there. But all 13 of them were on one big long roost and almost right in the middle was the little white Delaware banty with 12 large dark Black Stars on either side of her. I wish I would've had a camera with me 'cuz I would've snapped a pic and uploaded it with the caption: "One of these things are not like the other...."
gig.gif

I just may still do that.

Can I set muscovy eggs with my chicken eggs in the incubator? I have a muscovy hen who has insisted on making her nest in the chicken coop in a nest box. My hens are having a fit. They fight for the box and now the muscovy is getting mad because the chickens don't want to give up the nest box with her eggs in it. Today she started going after my 6 week old chicks too. I kicked her out of the coop AGAIN. I put her and her eggs in a pet taxi away from the coop. I will open it up later and if I see she is going to leave the eggs can I take them and put them in with my chicken eggs I just set this morning in the incubator?

need help with a favorite kitten. this stupid kitten hid in the wheel well of my car and I found it a few miles up the road. It is walking, eating and using the litter box but it is bleeding from its butt. Right now it is resting on a towel on the couch.
What should I do for it -- right now, its watchful waiting, but I think a trip to the vet is in order.
Why do these things happen on Sundays?

Quote:
That's a good question. I have magpie ducks and turkeys due now that I incubated with chickens, but I have a separate hatcher. The ducks should hatch a week later than the chickens, but I'm not sure if they would be OK in the same bator when you lock down the chicken eggs. Of course if she has already been incubating them perhaps they won't take as long to hatch? Worth a shot I suppose if you're going to lose them anyway.

I have read more about it and I think the humidity has to be a lot higher with the ducks. I think she is going to abandon the eggs. This morning she just plopped one out on the ground.

Anyone need some roosters? I have too many.
roll.png
I have a Blue Andalusian, Silver Polish, two Gold-Laced Wyandottes and an Easter Egger (plus I'm keeping three!). I'm over in Maquoketa but I'd meet someone somewhere too.

Back
Top Bottom