IA here

Quote:
Are you showing at the fair? Or just looking forward to attending the show? How will we know you if we see you there?
We haven't gotten into showing... Yet! But we're faithful fair-goers. We didn't make it to the state fair last year and the kids have held it over my head like an axe ever since! Not sure which day we'll be attending. Year before last most of the poultry and small animals were gone when we got there. It must have been one of the last days:( Can't let that happen again.
d07e0b3e-9f6f-c37a.jpg
d07e0b3e-9fbb-332a.jpg
d07e0b3e-9fe1-d351.jpg
I'm browsing from my phone and these are the best pictures I have at hand lol

hello all

have a question what do you wash your chickens with. kids are getting ready for fair. have 12 chickens, 4 ducks, 2 pigions going in. i will not stress out i will relax
anyway any suggestions would be awesome.

hello all

have a question what do you wash your chickens with. kids are getting ready for fair. have 12 chickens, 4 ducks, 2 pigions going in. i will not stress out i will relax
anyway any suggestions would be awesome.

I use a 4 step process for chickens which probably will work well with pigions.
1 Wash bird in warm soapy water. I use Ivory dish soap on my Blacks. If they are White birds I use Tide with bleach alternative. Never use bleach

2 Rinse in clean water with vinager added to cut the suds

3 I rinse in clean water

4 I rinse in a downey fabric softener 1oz to 3 gal water

NEVER dunk head. They seem to die when that happens.
Trim nails and beaks if needed. Sidecutters work on nails or dog nail trimmers. Fingernail clippers for beak if needed (usually only the upper)
Wrap in a terry towel for 10 minutes after wash cycle then let air dry. Clean bedding until show. If you ever use a hair dryer keep it at least 1 ft away.
Wash 2-3 days before show. If show is on Sat wash on Wed orThursday.

Ducks just put them in a tote with water and they will clean themselves in 5 minutes. Do it again morning of the show. No soap.

If I missed something please ask and we will help

I just finished washing 10 birds in a very similar method to Craigs, for the show in Mason City on Sat. Had to take a break... the humidity is so high here, looks like it might rain, a much needed thing here. have not mowed the lawn in several weeks. the weeds are growing however. albert W. The poultry show at the fair is the 11 and 12 of Aug. I just bought a mega pass for ea. of the boys so they can have their own day on the rides. that gives Lora and I a chance to walk around and look at stuff that would be boring to kids. the birds are not released until 5:30 or 6:00 on Sunday. We stay that night too and return home on Monday.

Last edited:
We went to our county fair last weekend. It's so small. Four exhibition sheds/buildings, one food stand, six riding lawn mowers and a tractor. Literally. But we had fun! It's great to see friends and neighbors and their animals and 4-H projects. We're new to rural small-town and love it. The kids will be joining 4-H when school starts. I think I'm more excited than they are!

We went to our county fair last weekend. It's so small. Four exhibition sheds/buildings, one food stand, six riding lawn mowers and a tractor. Literally. But we had fun! It's great to see friends and neighbors and their animals and 4-H projects. We're new to rural small-town and love it. The kids will be joining 4-H when school starts. I think I'm more excited than they are!

For any child to be successful in 4H it does take an involved parent. Your kids don't know how lucky they are, I have been going to county fairs for years and see the fairs in eastern Iowa. This year I have been to several fairs that certainly don;t have the same sort of local support I see around here. A visit to the Iowa State fair makes a great family vacation. The poultry shows at the State fair are the 1st weekend of the fair. 4H poultry show is on the 1st Thursday. Saturday and Sunday is the open poultry show. A child does not have to do any livestock project to participate in 4H.

Back
Top Bottom