IA here

Eric are you bringing any birds for sale at the State Fair? I am bringing 8 of this years Columbian Cochins for sale. I don't know if Trish is bring any to sell but know she entered this year. Wish I had taken more last year. For anyone considering buying birds at the fair please bring a crate or a box with you.

Last edited:
At our fairs poultry show, on Monday, the judge dqed several birds cause they were not old enough. It is something we covered many times with the kids and parents but they seem to ignore it. The judge didn't rail them, just said they were too young. Telling the kids they are too small to be LF and too big to be bantams and they need to be older. A judge can see a bird of proper age from one too young a mile away. There was also 4 birds that a kid was told were Barred Rocks, (I questioned it) but he insisted they were and....... they were not, they were Dominiques. This kid and parent are non-listeners as well. Our son David did win Grand Champion with a bantam Buff Orp. (I have to admit, the judge fell in love with her!) Reserve was a LF Dark Brahma cockerel. It is funny to see the two next to each other. Buffy is such a gentle thing, and the Big Brahma was very docile as well. Both of them were so well handled they could have stood next to each other for an hour w/o moving.

Congrats to David! that is an adorable little Orp!

story county poultry done yay. drake runner got reserve champ. jersey giant hen got purple, 12 blues, 3 reds and 1 white. bantam cross breeds i told them wouldn't do well and a molting duck.
goats did well too with 1 best of class and 8 blues.

I think I reserved two sale cages at the State fair Craig. I have a number of NHR chicks and starts and some oddball stuff.
After this heat spell breaks I can re-assess what we will be bringing. Got the tickets and parking passes today in the mail, the time is creeping up fast!

Anyone selling Silkies at the state fair? I'll be down there the 10th. I haven't been to the state fair since I was a little girl, so I don't really know what to expect. Are there LOTS of chickens for sale? Do they sell the whole week, or just a couple days? Thanks in advance!

Anyone selling Silkies at the state fair? I'll be down there the 10th. I haven't been to the state fair since I was a little girl, so I don't really know what to expect. Are there LOTS of chickens for sale? Do they sell the whole week, or just a couple days? Thanks in advance!

You never know what will be there. The sale birds will be there Friday,Sat,Sun the 1st weekend of the fair until sold.

Is there anybody that has bantam Black Wyandottes or Bantam BLRW or bantam black laced red Wyandotes? I have 2 Black pullets and a bantam BLRW that need mates. I'd prefer a bantam Black cockerel and a bantam BLRW cockerel but would consider eggs. The breeder I got these from said she'd give me one of each for the cost of shipping when it cools down so if nobody has any, I can just wait (something I'm not good at doing ).

We are getting rid of most of our chickens to get some better quality ones for the kids to show.The kids are mostly wanting Cochin's both bantam and standard but may consider other breeds as long as they are good quality for showing.They will only be showing for 4-H and open class at fairs.Let me know if you have any or know of some fairly close to NW Iowa or anyone that is traveling this part of the state.

Back
Top Bottom