Ice in waterer in CA !

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chixbvs, Oct 10, 2008.

1. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    We are outside of Bakersfield at 4500 altitiude- I found ice in the waterers this morning - its only October 10th ! Guess I'd better get a start on winterizing the coop. (but you know it will be 80 again by Monday !

2. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Thats alright, insulation helps against heat and cold. IT is going to be a bad winter. Snow west of us and coming this way they said on the news this am.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What the heck? I'm at 500ft and we were 90+ all week long. The weather decided to give us a break today (high of mid 70s) but I'm sure it will be back with the Santa Ana winds. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yeah, Carrie, you are in the area that seems to stay hot all the time. This morning when I left my house at 7:30 am it was 46 - we are at 3000 ft. By Sunday the high here is supposed to be low 60's, lows in the 30's - So yeah ICE! Here we go!

5. CarriBrown

Quote:Yeah, Carrie, you are in the area that seems to stay hot all the time. This morning when I left my house at 7:30 am it was 46 - we are at 3000 ft. By Sunday the high here is supposed to be low 60's, lows in the 30's - So yeah ICE! Here we go!

I wish someone would have told me that before I moved here. [​IMG] We looked at houses in the wintertime. DUH!

6. debilorrah

I can imagine - just be thankful during the summer - when you are at 95, we are at 110. [​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

Good grief!!
    Well, I'm from Ventura County so this is all too hot for me! I've only been down here three years... I have a feeling it's going to take another 10 for me to get used to this weather.

8. debilorrah

If you ever do. I am happiest up here around this time of year through spring. Summers up here KILL me. Our electric bill runs $350/mo in the summer. OUCH!

9. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Now this morning it is 22.8 degrees out ! Even the water in the dog's (blue plastic) wading pool is frozen solid ! But the chickens are out and about as usual, don't seem to mind it ! We're the "land of four seasons" up here, but not usually this early in the year !

10. CarriBrown

WOW!! We have been pretty cold in the mornings, for us anyway. It's been in the 40s the past two nights. I'll tell you what, though. I had a horse broke out in Bakersfield, and going out there to watch her progress was like driving to hell. It gets HOT out there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by