Ice storm!!!!

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Well I was outside feeding the chooks and everything here is coated with a 1/4 inch of solid ice. My dogs were running around (slipping really) the yard when the wind picks up and I heard an ominous groaning...

My neighbor has very old cottonwood trees next to the fence line and in slow motion I can see one of the big tree branches cracking. It strated with a creak and then the light color of fresh wood spreading slowly in an angle up the branch. Of course my big old dog is right under its path. She can hear the cracking too, but can't figure out where it is coming from. I'm yelling at her to come but does she listen??? NOOOOO!

Finally she came to me right as it dropped. My fence caught the big end of it and it bent the top pole. Two more smaller branches fell soon after but are stuck up in the tree. I am sure more will fall as the day continues and the wind picks up. In the summer the shade from those branches are a favorite hang out for the chooks but luckily with all the snow on the ground they don't go over there right now.

Yeah. That storm is headed here. But we got a High Preasure system that is supposed to stop it before it gets into Wisconsin. I really don't want any more rain.

I'm in Iowa. It is just warm enough to rain then freeze to the ground...
Everything is cancelled today and lots of people are gonna lose power. There are a lot of big old trees around here. The power company trimmed back a lot this fall but in no way could have got them all.

BTW I am in the city so the yards are close together.

I hope that is all the damage you get. Went through on here, without power for 14 days in some places. I don't want to do it again but I can say that I am prepared should it happen again.

Hey fellow survivor of Ice Storm 2009!
wink.png

Word of advice:
Generator.

Here in southeastern MN we have a winter weather advisory for sleet/ice. Bluh.
hmm.png
We just got all of the ice off that was practically cemented to the sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom