Ice storm!!!!

We've lost power once already today at work. I dread the evening when the wind is supposed to come up and the temp supposed to drop.
The sexy feeling of candlelight just doesn't last long with dogs and kids all huddled in the same place trying to keep warm.

Quote:
Takes ya back to a few years ago, doesn't it? I was without power for about 5 days that time, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again
fl.gif

We lost the top of our tree out front in the ice storm of '96 It is just now looking normal again. My daughter and I were just outside listening to the creeking and groaning all around us. I love the noise, hate what it means...

The midwest has taken a beating the past several years from ice storms. I can close my eyes and still hear the snaps, crashes, explosions of trees around our country wooded neighborhood from a major icing. The devastation seen following one of these is unbelievable, not to mention the clean up, loss of tree line, shade, property value. We were lucky ones who were without power for a much shorter time than most, but much of the country was put in a powerless plight. Living through one of these can make you a believer in generators, propane heat and cooking sources, and so on: good provisioning. Best wishes to you, and may your ice accumulation be light. I'm glad your dog and hens were safe during the limb crash! ~G

I can't imagine what it will be like here tomorrow. Normally for the entire month of January we get .9 inches of moisture. Since Monday we are well over an inch and they are forecasting another 1"to 3" tomorrow and Friday.

My BIL left Salt Lake early this morning. He said that the roads were snow packed from Beaver to Kanab. He just left Page and I warned him that the roads will be snow packed again from Grey Mountain through Sedona, then again just south of Camp Verde and hopefully that will be the end of the snow after that.

I think it will be a difficult winter nationwide. My mom swears that there will be a major earthquake in the midwest this year.

Quote:
th.gif
I know there's a fault line 'round here, but that is one thing I am not prepared for. Give me a tornado or a blizzard anyday.... Just don't say the "e" word....
hide.gif

Quote:
New Madrid fault. (South East Missouri)

Last Quake was in the early 1800s, an 8.3 it was felt in NY and Boston, it's way past due to rupture again.

Quote:

Last Quake was in the early 1800s, an 8.3 it was felt in NY and Boston, it's way past due to rupture again.

ep.gif
thats scary! I diddnt know it was near that big.

Quote:

hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

This is the one time I did not need your infinate wisdom Mahonri....

Here is a photo of our chicken house during the ice storm here in Missouri last winter. Even though two ice covered branches fell on the chicken house, no damage was done. What can I say? I know how to build a sturdy chicken house!
big_smile.png

2009-Ice-Storm-049.jpg

Back
Top Bottom