Icelandic Chickens

Quote:
I think I shall adopt that philosophy, too!
lol.png

Beer and wine?
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

I do not drink at all. They all smell nasty.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Just give me water, milk, and juice, and I am happy.
cool.png

2 out of 3 Icelandics are laying. One looks like that she will start very soon.
woot.gif

Last edited:
The big issue is chlorine is in every drinking water system in the USA, and most every other country.
YES it is caustic & harmful in it's pure form, as is all chemicals...imagine eating a hunk of potassium...yet I have to take a mere ig of it daily.
The solution=a very small amount, daily is fine.
We use it, we are fine, no coronaries so far in the entire city.
lol.png

The biggest issue with chlorine is that in it's natural state, it is a gas, and evaporates easily, and is damaged by sunlight, so yeah, it is not stable.
Chloramine, is however more stable and in more usage by municipalities nowadays, as it does not dissipate from evaporation as easily.
Public transmission of water requires a more stable form of bacterial control.
In the fish farm we had years ago..Chloramine was an issue as it sticks around so long.
Whereas chlorine does not, it evaoprates out of the water easily, leaving it safe to add to the ponds for the fish we raised.
Since most municiple water supplies are now using chloramine.....we choose well water for our fish farm.
However, this was not good for the chickens..as chlorine evaporates so quickly, that leaves fonts barren of bacterial protection.
Thus, the University & many others recommend the "solution" which is exactly what we have in our water system.
Please not: Yes pure Chlorine is caustic, please do not think otherwise...but it is also diluted as stated and is fine in it's diluted state as an anti microbial and is safe for eye flushing, etc.
I wash my face & everything
lol.png
every day!!!!!
Everyone in everycity also does the same!!
It is in every municiple water system, and for good reason and this is the recipe.
Most of us on farms have no chlorine...and this is what we use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochlorous_acid wow, it is explosive as well.......I think I will stick to my household, unscented bleach!

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, Vetericyn cleared up a nasty infection on sweet donkey Diana when we left her halter on for a week at the request of our trainer. It ate right through her hide and the infection and resulting odor was severe enough that buzzards were circling her! No kidding. In two days time there was no drainage, no odor, no infection. And, no buzzards!
gig.gif

Quote:
yes it will, it is the chlorine!!!
But in the situation of vetericyn, may be alot more expensive!
It is all the same stuff.
Mine is $1.95 a gallon at WalMart & dillutes down to major gallons of usage.
Yours does not.
the product is deciptive in my eye..........I use what I have and have the same results....it is the same stuff despite what they say.
Their price is astronomical!!!!!

Here are a couple of girls hatched this year.....first is Branda, hatched May 5th, Ari and Anna or Asta. She is my darkest and does not have a crest. She's now laying and she is full of attitude!

44049_121211_branda.jpg

and then there is Dulla, hatched July 13th, Ari and Anna (Asta was raising a chick so wasn't laying when this clutch was set). She is the smaller of the two "quail girls" that I've posted pics of before (I put a pic underneath of her when she was younger).

44049_121911_dulla_1.jpg

44049_chicks_013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom