Icelandic Chickens

A few months ago for the Easter swap, I was lucky to be paired up with Mary (NotAFarm) and she sent some of her beautiful Icelandic eggs. I hatched out two chicks, one with a crest and one without. I'm guessing they are both pullets.

I'm lucky enough to live an hour from Mary (The Sheriff) and today I visited her and her DH (both very lovely and gracious people) to buy some Isbar eggs (
clap.gif
). We got to talking about Icelandics as well and look what I came home with.

Now I truly do have a rainbow of colors. I'm guessing two boys and three girls. Of course, these are my first Icelandics, so I'm just guessing.

Thank you so much Mary!!!!
wee.gif

Deb

I appreciate the offer Molly but I am fine.

I hate doing the hobble but when it works it's magic.

Post pictures when you can. We are rabid for pictures.
How are your isbar eggs doing? Sorry to here your broody flacked out...
sad.png

The Icelandic eggs I got from you are hatching amazing...Not sure on the final count due to the fact they are still hatching and drying...
I will keep you updated...Here is a quick shot in the hatcher...
thumbsup.gif

Nice pictures Deb! Let me enlighten the rest of you what happened during Deb's visit to pick up Isbar eggs she won on eBay. She and her husband arrived, lovely couple. We started talking about Icelandics and I offered to show Deb Lukka's babies and offered her four of them plus the white baby from my Easter hatch. In a momentary lapse of judgement, I let Deb go with me into the pasture with me. We were looking at Lukka's babies when, without warning, one of the emu boys took a chunk of skin off Deb's elbow! OMG! We returned to the house. Deb decided she would like to have Lukka's babies. I am anxious to get her done with brooding. The last few days she has been frantic to get out of that pen, almost ignoring and chasing the babies. So in a secondary lapse of judgement I asked Michael to go down and remove all the babies but the one with the funky feathers. All seemed to be going well until Michael let Lukka out of the broody area and back into the coop. She immediately came out the pop door into the yard. The emus saw her, knew she wasn't where she was supposed to be and all four began chasing and stomping poor Lukka. I thought they were going to kill her. Eventually Michael came out and got Lukka back inside. Tonight she has a wing hanging a bit low and it looks like she my have a cut on her thigh. I am going to check it out closer when she settles down for the night. With her eggs and new babies safe Deb and her husband left and Michael and I began pondering our options with the emus.

We decided that if I am going to be able to rebuild my Icelandic flock and raise my turkeys we needed to move the emus to the pasture with the donkeys. This arrangement has its own frightening consequences but we have to try something. So we moved the emus over there with the donkeys and watched them carefully and nothing bad happened. We are going to move the chain link pen that they sleep in behind the donkey shelter and as soon as that is done the move will be permanent. We have to put a fence across our yard because they can swim across the pond and get out. Temporarily we put up a chicken wire fence. This arrangement if it works out will be better too since they won't have access to reach over the fence into the road when people pass by and try to pet them.

Oh, and while Michael and I were supervising the visit from the deck, we saw this.

I officially give up. Stella wins.

Regarding Deb's visit today, sorry Deb, sorry Lukka, sorry donkeys.
th.gif

Quote: We were looking at Lukka's babies when, without warning, one of the emu boys took a chunk of skin off Deb's elbow!

It was just a small scrape and bruise, believe me I've been bitten by worse.

I hope Lukka is okay, I witnessed the emu chase/stomp. Very scary for her!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom