Icelandic Chickens

Why don't you keep both until they mature a little more? That way if one turns out to be a big jerk, you'll have a back up. They are both beautiful and who ever you decide to keep will make gorgeous offspring.
smile.png

goodpost.gif

I would keep both.But if i had to chose the one on top because I think he is prettier.
Thanks for your vote. I only kept 6 hens, and was planning on keeping 2 boys to go with. This boy is the one I most definitely wish to keep. He is The King. He runs the show. I am a little worried he might get nasty later. My five-year-old claims he chases her, but I haven't seen it happen.

Thanks for your vote. I only kept 6 hens, and was planning on keeping 2 boys to go with. This boy is the one I most definitely wish to keep. He is The King. He runs the show. I am a little worried he might get nasty later. My five-year-old claims he chases her, but I haven't seen it happen.

Oh he is GORGEOUS! I have one like him from my older hatch. I worry for that big comb if we get a bad winter though
hmm.png
I have a blue boy too, but he is much smaller than the rest and has odd feathers. He's sweet, but I can't keep him.

Why don't you keep both until they mature a little more? That way if one turns out to be a big jerk, you'll have a back up. They are both beautiful and who ever you decide to keep will make gorgeous offspring.
smile.png

I agree. Keep all 3 and let their personalities choose. They are all gorgeous, no matter who you end up keeping.

I only have the six Icelandic hens, and two other hens (whose eggs I don't hatch) for a total of 8 girls. I can't really keep 3 boys to 8 girls, I don't think? Right?

You could narrow it down to 2 right about the time they start getting randy. 2 roosters to 8 hens won't be too bad for a short time. (I had that ratio for about a year before I built my 2nd coop)

Or if you have an extra coop, you could rotate them until you pick the keeper boy. Tough choice for sure!

Last edited:
What happened to all of Kathy, NotAFarm, and Mahonri's posts....I'm freaking out. I'm usually about 100 pages behind and all the sudden they are gone. I love this thread and those 3 are a big part of what makes it so fun!
hit.gif

What happened to all of Kathy, NotAFarm, and Mahonri's posts....I'm freaking out. I'm usually about 100 pages behind and all the sudden they are gone. I love this thread and those 3 are a big part of what makes it so fun!
hit.gif
Some of the fun has moved here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690271/stellas-social-club

I think BYC wanted this this thread to focus more on the Icelandic Breed so the other thread was started for more of the fun stuff. Both threads are enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom