Icelandic Chickens

The loud peeping should encourage others to hatch.
If there is no reason to remove the chick, e.g. dragging a piece of shell dried onto the abdomen making a "tear" possible or endangering the other hatching chicks, leave it. I have had hens hatch chicks across a 48 hour period and not take the "first born" out until the "last born" is strong enough. This means they don't get food or water for about 72 hours. If you have to open the incubator, be very careful or you could endanger those in the process of hatching.

The loud peeping should encourage others to hatch.
If there is no reason to remove the chick, e.g. dragging a piece of shell dried onto the abdomen making a "tear" possible or endangering the other hatching chicks, leave it. I have had hens hatch chicks across a 48 hour period and not take the "first born" out until the "last born" is strong enough. This means they don't get food or water for about 72 hours. If you have to open the incubator, be very careful or you could endanger those in the process of hatching.

Ok great thank you, thats what I was thinking, this is only my 3rd time incubating and I has never gone well, but this time everything seems to be working great. I think its all the good hatching vibes everyone on here has been sending. The one that hatched is drying out nicely and number 2 has started hatching WOO HOO!!!
Thanks

We are new members of BYC but my wife and I are excited for you and your Icelandic hatch in progress. We have just recently discovered the breed and we too have a batch of Icelandics in the incubator due to start hatching by thursday we hope. Best of luck for a successful hatch of Vikings.

We are new members of BYC but my wife and I are excited for you and your Icelandic hatch in progress. We have just recently discovered the breed and we too have a batch of Icelandics in the incubator due to start hatching by thursday we hope. Best of luck for a successful hatch of Vikings.
welcome-byc.gif
and to the wonderful world of Icelandics!!
fl.gif
for a great hatch!

Back
Top Bottom