Icelandic Chickens

One more week......all I needed was one more week.......but....noooo....I thought I heard someone making the broody noise when I opened up this morning......I was right Jóka was on the nest tonight when I went out to close-up. I took her off the nest and put her up on the roost. She was fussing and got everyone else fussing. No brooding until next week!! The weather has been unseasonably warm lately and I had a feeling "spring fever" was going to strike!!
Oh, that's a good sign. If one is starting now , then there will be another, and another, and another ...

Awesome, thanks I'll try that. I've read about several people who purchased eggs from him and I couldn't figure out what the best way to go about that would be!

Re to DNA studies, has anyone looked into who can do it and the costs?

I'd like to know a lot more of their genome. I will gladly cost share with anyone else who has looked into it or interested in doing it.

Jake I don't know how accurate DNA is for chickens but, for dogs - they seem to be "way off." My sister and niece both have mutts and had the DNA done - just ridiculous report. They complained ,so the company re-did them and totally different results but just as insane. I wouldn't waste money on it.

I live near NC state university and I bet there vet school or Ag school would actually be interested in this.
However, from my years there I view them as very pro big Ag and not quite as interested in conservation and preservation, though that may be an unfair personal assumption on my part.
I'm not sure if introducing these chickens to then would be detrimental to the landrace in the long run.

Last edited:
There are a number of Universities that have done DNA studies on chickens including the Jungle Fowl Gallus Gallus. One here in MI at Lansing. It needs to be on this level or higher. I don't trust these smaller commercial operations.

It could possibly even be gratis if the right school is recruited. The Icelandic Chicken was isolated possibly longer then any other pure population that I know of. The same for the other Icelandic livestock.

This is something that I would really like to see done. I don't know if the Livestock Conservancy would be interested. Dr Sponnenberg was involved in some studies with several clades of the Spanish Mustang.

Jake
Inquiring mind wants to know.

There are a number of Universities that have done DNA studies on chickens including the Jungle Fowl  Gallus Gallus. One here in MI at Lansing.  It needs to be on this level or higher. I don't trust these smaller commercial operations. 

It could possibly even be gratis if the right school is recruited. The Icelandic Chicken was isolated possibly longer then any other pure population that I know of.  The same for the other Icelandic livestock.

This is something that I would really like to see done. I don't know if the Livestock Conservancy would be interested. Dr Sponnenberg was involved in some studies with several clades of the Spanish Mustang.

Jake
Inquiring mind wants to know.

Yes, NCSU has previously been involved in a few studies about chicken DNA. This one in particular would be interesting to see if they included icelandic chickens or if they would now compare it to icelandic chickens.http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-04/nesc-ado041814.php

There's also recently been an NCSU paleontologist who's been involved in linking t Rex and modern chicken DNA.

Dhia Dhuit Sumi !

Thanks for sharing.

We all know that the Icelandic Chicken we love has been isolated for a long time. But, we don't know just what we have. Other then their beauty and great ranging and surviving ability.

For example the Jungle Fowl has a gene SB 2 that strengthens hardiness and resistance to diseases, Mareks for example. There are some 'modern' breeds that have lost it. Does the Icelandic have it? I don't know, and I don't know what other genes it has.

I know they are hardy, good brooders and can range very well. But what else?

I have posted in the past that I myself want to see more crests, tiny combs, few wattles and well feathered legs because I believe that each of these can contribute to winter hardiness. I have seen my beautiful roosters with big combs get frostbit here in our MI winters. So for me its selection within my stock and others for these traits. Folks in warmer climes don't need them, while folks up here can keep them buttoned up tight in cold weather.

But what are these genes that control these ? What genes are hidden that we don't know about that contribute so much to the breed?

I'd really like to know, a number of other breeds have been studied and we are beginning to know their genome, we should know how our breed differs from the Red Jungle Fowl and what it has in common , and with other breeds.

In the meantime I will just enjoy them.

Jake

Back
Top Bottom