Icelandic Chickens

An incubator is your best bet right now, that makes it possible to get eggs from proven flocks all over. I say proven as in no crosses, and isolated from others.

If you get the incubator very soon you could make the Easter hatchalong !

Good luck.

Anyone in NC or south VA with icelandics? I'm considering buying an incubator because I want icelandics so bad! I'm considering ordering from David Gothe, I'm fascinated with their genetics.
I'm wondering how well they do in warmer climates as well.
You will not regret the choice to get Icelandics! They are great! David's last name Grote. He ships chicks so that takes some of the risk away. Hatching shipped eggs is difficult and can be disappointing to inexperienced hatchers. Here is a link to some very helpful information if you are going to hatch. This info has been collected through years of hatching by thousands of people.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

Also, in my signature is the link to the Easter Hatchalong. There are people there that are hatching their "test hatches" and you can learn a lot by reading it...and have some fun along the way. If you can work it out, the set date for chicken eggs is Saturday, March 5, so that chicks hatch the day before Easter. You can enter if you will set within two days of the set date. I am hoping some of my Icelandic hens will go broody so I can be an "official participant". I'll be traveling during the three week incubation so I will need to have an automatic system...my hens!!

Thanks, I had a weird autocorrect there. I actually emailed him yesterday and David said he can't ship to NC right now because of AI certification but he should be able to by april. That works out well anyways because it gives me time to play with my new incubator and make sure I understand how to use it before trying the purchased eggs. Hopefully I will have a more successful hatch that way.

If shipping doesn't work out I believe I've read somewhere that there is a breeder in VA? Anybody know about that? It may be within driving distance for me.

Harvey ussery I believe is in VA and has an
Thanks, I had a weird autocorrect there. I actually emailed him yesterday and David said he can't ship to NC right now because of AI certification but he should be able to by april. That works out well anyways because it gives me time to play with my new incubator and make sure I understand how to use it before trying the purchased eggs. Hopefully I will have a more successful hatch that way.

If shipping doesn't work out I believe I've read somewhere that there is a breeder in VA? Anybody know about that? It may be within driving distance for me.
harvey ussery has icelandics in Va I believe excellant source for icelandics he sells hatching eggs I am getting some from him as well

Yep, that's who I was thinking of. I've seen his book and parts of his website but does he have a page specificly for contacting him regarding purchasing hatching eggs?

Also, I've requested to join the Facebook page for Icelandic chickens twice and it appears I'm being denied. Anyone know or guess why that might be?

One more week......all I needed was one more week.......but....noooo....I thought I heard someone making the broody noise when I opened up this morning......I was right Jóka was on the nest tonight when I went out to close-up. I took her off the nest and put her up on the roost. She was fussing and got everyone else fussing. No brooding until next week!! The weather has been unseasonably warm lately and I had a feeling "spring fever" was going to strike!!

Back
Top Bottom