Icelandic Chickens

It sure looks like a roo to me. Mine were already crowing at 3 months, but the comb & wattles on the pullets were no where near that red. I am hoping you have a girl also!

I was told at a farmers market that this was a Icelandic when I posted some pictures on the gender forum I was told it was not. Rather way it is a pretty bird. Could anyone help with gender of this 3 month old and breed. I am afraid it is a roo. If it is a roo we have to find a farm for him. Sill have hopes for no crow

Color of comb and wattles at 3 months and "spur bump" say cockerel.
Check for developing saddle feathers (pointed, not rounded, feathers on the back just before the tail). The pics aren't of that area so hard to tell.

Buying a bird deemed an Icelandic at a farmers market from a breeder/seller you don't know will, more than likely, not be a pure Icelandic. Looking like one doesn't matter...it is the genes that make an Icelandic an Icelandic...
If the ear lobes are red (look red from what I can see in pics), definitely not an Icelandic.

I received three Icelandic eggs to put under my broody hen this spring. One hatched. I'm a little confused because "he" looks EXACTLY like my Cream Legbar x cockerel. What do you guys think of "him?" I'm pretty sure he is a he and not a she.
IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

The one on the right is the CL cross cockerel.
IMG_1363.JPG

A breeder in Pa. I wasn't 100% as to which chick came from which egg. My two CL x hatched earlier then the rest so those two are positive. I got a pullet and the big cockerel in the pic. I also hatched a three OEs but they are distinct. So then I had three other eggs hatch. One should be a pure CL, one is from a Sapphire hen with CL father and then one Icelandic.

Here are pics of the other two...I thought I had them figured out but maybe I'm wrong.

These were the chickies. The black are OE. The one with the one dot is my huge CL x cockerel. One chipmunk is my CLx pullet. The light brown became what im thinking is the pure CL and the other chipmunk is the little Icelandic cockerel.

IMG_1055.JPG

I was thinking this was the pure CL?
IMG_1354.JPG

This was the little yellow chick that was the Sapphire
IMG_1355.JPG

Do I have them mixed up?!

Hi All,

I've lost two of my hens in the past two days, and I'm thinking I might want to find homes for the remaining two. They are both Behl and Behl/Sigrid mix. The roo is about 1.5 years old. The hen was hatched this spring. I don't want to keep them locked in the run, but I can't handle continuing to lose them, especially our "baby." I live in Weare, southern New Hampshire. Anyone interested in adopting these two? The rooster is in the front of the photo. The dark hen at the back is the mother of the chick, which looks just like her.
chickens.jpg

So, I'm new to BYC and I'm trying to read the entire site within the past six months. This is the second time I came across your thread. I need an update on your efforts and flock.. Please

Back
Top Bottom