Icelandic Chickens

Got my first Icelandics from David Grote / Whippoorwill Farms and they should be hatching around May 10th! If anyone is in the New Jersey area and is interested in some let me know! :)

IMG_9128.jpg

Perhaps this isn't appropriate, but I'm doing some research and need a photo I can use of an Icelandic. This is for academic purposes and will not be used for any economic gain. If anyone is willing to share I'd gladly credit the photo to the owner. :)

Edit: 26 arrived happy and healthy.

I’ve got 25 Icelandic chicks coming in the morning from David Grote.

Hoping to put my 6 months of chicken experience to use. I learned quite a few things the hard way with my November chicks. I was unable to source the Icelandics last fall and substituted BCMs and some Swedish Flower.

My grand father came to the US on a boat around 1910 from Denmark. He stayed for a bit in Iceland with family. Story gets muddled - he was a character and a bit of a scoundrel. Just like chickens.

They will be in the mail nearly 72 hours by the time they arrive. The local post office guy loves chickens, I am hopeful they arrive safe and sound.

Attachments

• B0FC7086-82E1-400B-93FF-72713229D402.jpeg
    B0FC7086-82E1-400B-93FF-72713229D402.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1E378015-508E-4B81-B1A6-918890B08333.jpeg
    1E378015-508E-4B81-B1A6-918890B08333.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It seems this thread has died off, but I’ll give it a go.

I thought some Icelandics were uncrested.

Every single icelandic I have is crested at 7 weeks.

The coloring is quite diverse, but every single one has a crest.

Seems like this thread has gone quiet, but in case anyone is still active here, thought I'd share.

I received 30 hatching eggs from Whippoorwill farm this month. Today is day 18 and 21 eggs went into lockdown. I'm quite nervous now!

I've raised chickens in the past but it's been many years. I'm hoping to start a flock of only Icelandics and contribute to preserving them.

Cheers

Seems like this thread has gone quiet, but in case anyone is still active here, thought I'd share.

I received 30 hatching eggs from Whippoorwill farm this month. Today is day 18 and 21 eggs went into lockdown. I'm quite nervous now!

I've raised chickens in the past but it's been many years. I'm hoping to start a flock of only Icelandics and contribute to preserving them.

Cheers
I have 4 hens and 1 Roo.

The rest for taken by a pair of skunks I ended up shooting.

Great birds, but not affectionate.

Cheers
Any chicks yet? They hatched here at 19 days under hens. :caf

Any chicks yet? They hatched here at 19 days under hens. :caf
Not yet! I caught one of them wiggling yesterday, but no peeps or pips yet. Hopefully soon (tomorrow is day 20). I'm guessing my incubator temp might be a bit lower than a broody.
I have 4 hens and 1 Roo.

The rest for taken by a pair of skunks I ended up shooting.

Great birds, but not affectionate.
So sorry to hear about your loss to the skunks! Glad to hear your remaining 5 are doing well. Do you plan on hatching out any of the eggs?

Icelandics appealed to me for their ability to forage and hardiness of having been a land race. I figured the trade off is aloofness, but I'm ok with that!

Not yet! I caught one of them wiggling yesterday, but no peeps or pips yet. Hopefully soon (tomorrow is day 20). I'm guessing my incubator temp might be a bit lower than a broody.

So sorry to hear about your loss to the skunks! Glad to hear your remaining 5 are doing well. Do you plan on hatching out any of the eggs?

Icelandics appealed to me for their ability to forage and hardiness of having been a land race. I figured the trade off is aloofness, but I'm ok with that!

I am going to hatch some along with Delaware meat birds sometime soon.

I was hoping for one to go broody, but no luck.

2 of the 4 are great foragers. The other 2 hang out near the coop, but do use the full run. The foragers will go about 800 feet max from door.

Back
Top Bottom