Icelandic Chickens

Quote:
WOOOO HOOOOO, only one more week!
ya.gif

Quote:
Kathy, None of my hatchery SLW (I've had four) have shown any inkling of broodiness. I've got three BQ SLW and Chickie Mama went broody last year in January when she was 10 months old. After breaking her three times, I finally let her sit in April. The other two are a year old now but haven't shown any signs, but it's just getting to be spring. I think certain lines must still have broodiness in them. I asked about it when I questioned the breeder. He told me he had some that tended to be more broody, that's what I wanted. Not usually what breeders that want lots of chicks to cull for show want though!! Todd isn't a big breeder and doesn't advertise his birds so huge numbers aren't his goal. Last years girls are a first generation of crossing out to a white Wyandotte for new blood, so their lacing is not as crisp as Chickies, but they too are beautiful girls. The Wyandottes are eye candy and since I've only got two Icelandic girls at this point, fill out the flock for the two Icelandic boys. This year when she went broody the first time in the March cold, I hesitated but just had to set my Icelandic and a couple Auburn Javas under her. Everyone else was hatching and I had to have some NOW! As my flock of Icelandics grows, I'm hoping for some girls that will brood their own.

No work today so off to get busy outside before the rain moves in later. I'll try and get some new pics of the chicks!!

Some fuzzy butt pics:

Here is the Olive Egger
33499_dscn0466.jpg

Here is the RedNeck of the group.
lol.png

33499_dscn0487.jpg

Lotsa color here!
33499_dscn0485.jpg

Group shot:
33499_dscn0493.jpg

I snuck them all under the broody mama and she is very very busy. LOL

Thanks so much Kathy and the other Mary for feeding my addiction.
smile.png

Edited to add: One more late pipper coming through now. Cant wait to see what flavor it is!
lol.png

Last edited:
Great variety Kim! Love the last one. I think I know what that one is gonna look like grown out.

And Mahonri no worries about your boy being kin to Stella. I would never hatch her eggs out and pollute the gene pool. Who needs an Icelandic with the gypsy gene? NO ONE! Anyway, I actually have two smaller Icelandic girls who look very similar to Stella. Sometimes I walk by them and say "Hello Stella" and realize it's not Stella. Like this girl for example:

34566_notstela.jpg

:
bow.gif
wee.gif
Thank you Mary, Got my eggs today, they are HUGE, didn't realize how big the eggs were, put them in a LG turner out of the bator until tommorrow when they will go into the bator, or I may have a broody buff cochin banty, that may be playing bator, if I can make sure she is actually broody, going to make new digs for her today and check her out with some of my eggs to see if she will stay setting, anyway, that shipment was fast!!! Hi to everyone else and happy hatching!!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom