Icelandic Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Feb 19, 2010.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:We should probably start looking around. I am sure this type of nursing home would be booked way in advance. Yea, I would most definitely be a resident, not a staff. [​IMG]

Dont book me for a nursing home just yet! I would like to finish high school first [​IMG]

2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    Quote:[​IMG] I think you can tell by this pic I just took that MN is better! [​IMG]

Ryan,

Are those mountains in the distance or just smog? I got to have mountains on my horizon or things just don't feel right.... [​IMG] Now the picture of the Tetons in my avatar... That's a backyard!!!

I see your trees have as many leaves as mine do though.... [​IMG]

3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] I think you can tell by this pic I just took that MN is better! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/71540_p4290019.jpg

Ryan,

Are those mountains in the distance or just smog? I got to have mountains on my horizon or things just don't feel right.... [​IMG] Now the picture of the Tetons in my avatar... That's a backyard!!!

I see your trees have as many leaves as mine do though.... [​IMG]

No they arent mountains [​IMG] MN doesnt have smog [​IMG] You can see the train tracks in the pic.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I seriously don't think I've ever seen such active chicks in a brooder in my life. These Icelandics are just comical... I don't know if I'll be able to keep them confined to a coop and run, I think they'd always be looking for a way out and if they got out I don't know if they'd ever come home!!! It's like they are ADD!

Meanwhile, Vindur is in a pen as the only roo now... He has his two Icelandic girls, a blue EE, a multicolored EE, 1 cute little banty mottled cochin, an olive egger, 2 CQs, a BO and an Australorp. I've seen him mount the blue EE hen.. I've got to crack one of her eggs to look for a bullseye. Interesting that I've yet to hear him crow. I'll eventually move all but the Icelandics to the laying coop.

When do Icelandics begin to lay eggs? 18 weeks? I hope so, that's the end of next month!

Laree... I so wish I would have been there to watch your poopostomy... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I'm with you Shawn, there's gotta be mountains!

Gratuitous photo DD shot through my dining room window.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: This photo is a month or so old now. All our snow is melted from the yard but still on the mountains.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:Mahonri, mine are the same way. I love treating them to some day old bread just to watch them all zip around carrying their prize tryingto find a secret spot to eat [​IMG] It's the best reality tv!

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I am soooo glad Mary is back to this thread. It was really boring for the few pages she was gone. Now it seems back to normal, my kind of normal at least. [​IMG]

Oh and Laree the helping of Crustache's eyeball vent situation sounds so "normal" to me too. I am glad I can fit in somewhere. My "real life" friends just don't get my poultry lifestyle. [​IMG]

Normal to me is: I have my Easter Hatch chicks in the house in a dog kennel and while the fam sits down to watch TV, I plop down by the kennel and grab chicks to wipe poopy butts and tell them all "hi" while watching Jeopardy and eating dinner. Life is Good! [​IMG]

8. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Pretty landscapes everyone! But, where's the chickens? I can't seem to get a pic without a chicken in it and Kathy for sure can't! [​IMG]

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I looked around today to get a landscape picture. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by