1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Icelandic Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Feb 19, 2010.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Told ya' [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Mary --I need my eggs. Are they here yet?

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I am DONE breeding and hatching for the season! Last batch of eggs are ready to set. [​IMG] Honestly though, they stay within their own little groups. Here they are all close because I tossed out some scratch to call them together. I keep the Icelandics and Orps penned though. As soon as I am finished with gathering their eggs, they will be out also.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:#1. You don't need any eggs. None of us needs eggs.

#2. The post office isn't done kicking the box yet. You will have to be patient.

#3. I was late getting them in the mail because the white spray paint wouldn't dry on the Stella egg.

#4. Icelandics don't need 21 days so go ahead and set the others.

[​IMG]

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:#3. I was late getting them in the mail because the white spray paint wouldn't dry on the Stella egg.

[​IMG]

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a question,
    I while back in this thread, someone dropped in and said he/she would like to have some hens for eggs to eat and thought Icelandics would be a good choice. If I remember correctly the person was told to choose a different breed as all the Icelandic eggs should be used for hatching. Is this still the case? I do not want to offend anyone by asking this, I am just curios. thanks.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:#1. You don't need any eggs. None of us needs eggs.

#2. The post office isn't done kicking the box yet. You will have to be patient.

#3. I was late getting them in the mail because the white spray paint wouldn't dry on the Stella egg.

#4. Icelandics don't need 21 days so go ahead and set the others.

[​IMG]

*laughing*

*now crying*

My long awaited turkey eggs came. Stooppid seller didnt wrap the eggs--just stuck them in a chicken egg carton figureing that'd secure them. Holy cowbells, I break turkey eggs when I put them in the fridge like that--nevermind SHIPPING them that way. Out of 12, I think 2 eggs might be hatchable. Maybe.

It sucks because I pre-ordered them back in January, and the seller kept pushing the ship date back and back and back *le sigh*

Oh well, I sent them an email. Most sellers try to make it right, so here's hoping for the best.

In the mean time, I could really use some Icelandic eggs.

8. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    How am I going to survive the weekend?? If my Icelandic eggs don't come tomorrow, I'll have to wait till Monday!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Here's hoping the PO calls me in the morning... [​IMG] Their tracking website still only shows that they were notified to expect a shipment... nothing else. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    #1 I do need eggs

#2 They better not be kicking my boxes

#3 All the Stella eggs were saved for Laree

#4 My other eggs aren't here yet either..

NOW WHAT???

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I hope not, or I'm busted. [​IMG]

For now, I'll be using mine for good broodies. Eventually I may get an Icelandic roo, but I can't give up my Moose boy. (welsummer) And I'm growing out barnevelders to breed also.

ETA: And if I remember correctly (but maybe not) the person was asking about them in a confined space - which I think Mary told them they prefer to have room to roam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by