Icelandic Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Forgot to mention that I have Vindur's 2nd baby under my broody.

I'm guessing the dark one is a boy and the light one (mine) is a girl (hatched by mclevinson)

2. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    The colors are just amazing. I love looking out at my Icelandics.

Here are the kids last night....

Pretty Boy
    [​IMG]

Kathy, this is the black girl I got from you, she has one white tipped feather on the end of each wing

[​IMG]

These two are my bobsie twins

[​IMG]

This is one of my poofy-heads from Mary's eggs.

[​IMG]

This boy is stunning... but fast. He has some purple on those wings that is impossible to photograph

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my mullet head all grown up, he still a friendly guy but lately he spends more time chasin the ladies than being cuddly [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Beautiful, all of them!

Your twin girls, it's funny, one looks to have a rose comb and one a single comb.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I set 24 Icelandic eggs today for fertility testing. There's been a lot of chasing and I'm not sure how much mating. The damage inflicted by the PO has made letting others test hatch for fertility a bit futile. I sent out 18 replacements eggs to someone today. I tried a different packing method so we'll see.

Been hectic around here. We had new carpet installed over tile floors and it finally got done yesterday. I still have lots of stuff to move back into the house.

My Icelandic broody stopped being broody and abandoned three eggs. I candled them and two were veining but cold. I stuck them under Skye who is broody again. Not sure they'll make it but I wanted to try.

Mary

Just got back from closing up the coop and I candled the two eggs under Skye and they now have little eyes floating around! And of course the Icelandic broody wanna-be is back on the nest tonight so I gave her one egg. I also found three more eggs and added them to my incubator for a total of 27. One was thinned shelled and was laid in the goat feeder. I think I have a new layer as someone left me this gift three days ago: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Beautiful Icelandics Michelle !!

Thanks for sharing.

I also have two very similar Bobsey Twins, both have beautiful capes, one gold, one auburn though.

I have a number with the Phyllis Diller 'do's'

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Awesome Jake! I hope the "do's" are a little bit more stylish than Phyllis's do, if anyone even knows who she is anymore. Now if you could just get those feathers to grow on their legs! [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Reluctantly I am selling my little white crested ducks on Craigslist. They are terrified of me and run hiding from me at night when I need to put them in their duck house. They hide under the house where I can't reach them and I have had to start using the net to retrieve them. I am so afraid I am going to break their legs. You just can do that with young ducks but I don't want predators getting them. I also did not realize that mating crested duck to crested duck results in a large number of neurologically challenged ducklings who have to be culled. I think I'll stick to chickens and resist the duck urge.

Mary [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm sorry Mary, I know you love those little ducks.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Saturday morning with the free ranging Icelandics.

Here is a pic of rose combed and crested Snjór, she lays cream colored eggs and pics Vindur's back.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of floppy combed and crested, Blettur, she lays nice sized white eggs and pics Vindur's back. Her tail always sticks out to the right.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of rose combed, slightly crested Jörðin at one point in time I thought it was a pullet, now I'm thinking its a roo. What think ye all.

[​IMG]

More to come... gotta go to the store....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  10. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Thanks for sharing the pics, I love seeing all the differences between the various groups of Icelandics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by