Icelandic Chickens

This hen is just trouble.

First the roof, now she's making off with the tractor. You'd better watch out, the car is next!

Kelly, love that male of yours!
Thanks, I won't be keeping him as I don't have room for another flock. Mary (Sheriff) may take him back as Isi is getting up there in age. I hope she does, because this boy needs a flock!

I like the crest on this hen, but I really like the way her yellow nails "pop" with her black legs.

She's a beauty!

I forgot to post pictures of this male I have right now. Isn't he stunning?

Yes, he is stunning!!
love.gif

Other Mary, I misunderstood. I thought Eldur didn't have a flock of his own - so this was the chance to have eggs or chicks by him.

Eldur has ranged with the main flock since he was a hatchling but Audun always reminded him of his place, always second after him. There were times when the whole flock would be out together, a picture of harmony and the perfect partnership between the two cocks keeping the flock safe. Other times, Audun would chase Eldur away from the flock to make sure he never forgot his place. I wanted Eldur to have an opportunity to be "the man". Audun will always be the number one here until he no longer is able to hold that place. Making Eldur wait until that happened wasn't something I thought wanted. Finding the right place for him was the dilemma . I'm glad Landon and Jim will give Eldur the opportunity to be "the man" after he has had the best teacher ever!

This hen is just trouble.

Just an Icee being an Icee.......you know they have a need to roam!

I like the crest on this hen, but I really like the way her yellow nails "pop" with her black legs.

She is gorgeous from the top of her crest to the tip of her toes!

As promised some pictures. Eldur has been non stop crowing since the sun came up I think he's letting everyone know who the new sheriff is in town
lau.gif

Our small hatch of 6 Icelandics is doing well and growing feathers already. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any of their Icelandic chicks making a trill ? My wife said that one had made a funny sound yesterday morning and then when I came in from the shop at lunch I checked on them and actually saw the blond one make the trill. Not sure if any others do it yet or if this one is even more unique than the typical Icelandic.

Our small hatch of 6 Icelandics is doing well and growing feathers already. I was wondering if anyone has noticed any of their Icelandic chicks making a trill ? My wife said that one had made a funny sound yesterday morning and then when I came in from the shop at lunch I checked on them and actually saw the blond one make the trill. Not sure if any others do it yet or if this one is even more unique than the typical Icelandic.

Could be an early crow. I've had chicks crow as young as four days old and it is a trill of sorts, sounds sort of like "buh-REEEET". Keep track of that blonde one and let us know if it turns out to be a cockerel.

Last edited:
As promised some pictures. Eldur has been non stop crowing since the sun came up I think he's letting everyone know who the new sheriff is in town
lau.gif
He's probably "sounding out" the area for other roosters. Once he realizes he is the only one he should settle down.
It's has been exceptionally quiet here today......Audun has no one to sound off to......the younger cockerels will start up shortly I'm sure.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom