Icelandic Chickens

MC620  - sending good hatching vibes your way  :jumpy
Hope so havent had much luck with my pullet eggs but did with last batch of Grote eggs not sure if my pullets just to young or problem is my inexperience with hatching so trying my luck one last time this winter hopefully good hatch rate or some go broody this spring fig if start now will have good layers late spring

Last edited:
I currently have 9 eggs in the incubator that should hatch within a week or so (out of 8 hens, only about 3 are currently laying after their moult). I am hoping that by hatching from those that are laying, the pullets hatxh will also lay during this time).My question is this: How do breeders select the next generation of birds since there isnt a stardard?

There are always things that I keep in mind.
Health and vigor are number one. I like my broody hens to raise my chicks. If a chick fails to thrive with a momma hen, I don't "try to save" it.
Obvious faults like crossbeaks, eye problems and wry tails do not make good breeders so don't stay.
I like my cocks to have a good demeanor around me so aggressive cocks don't stay.
Hens that lay eggs with improper shells don't stay.
I like hens that go broody so young pullets that show me they want to raise chicks have a greater chance of staying.
I try to keep diversity in my blood lines so I may like the looks of one more than another, but that doesn't mean it stays.
I like the rose comb gene so I try to keep that trait in my flock.
I think each Viking
images
had traits they favored and "bred toward". Their individual flocks probably reflected those preferences. Our flocks will reflect our preferences in the same way. Some will have more blue, some more mottling, some larger crests, some more whatever.... The important thing is that they remain the pure genetic treasure that they were when they arrived here from Iceland. Keeping them from crossbreeding and protecting the gene pool is the most important goal of a true Icelandic lover.

Gleðilegt nýtt ár Icelandic lovers!!

Is there anyway to start a thread showing where folks are from and if your going to have icxe chicks or eggs for sale this year? I am in middle Tn and hope to find someone close to my area. I do not have any at this time but hope to get started back in them this year, the first ones I had were awesome.

A bright and happy Valentines Day to all the folks here…

I am new and so wish to introduce myself to the esteemed members here. I got my first Icelandic chickens yesterday afternoon. The wife and I are so very excited and honored to have been favored by a fellow member of the Utah State thread, whom allowed me to obtain three hens and a rooster. I have attached a photograph of Loki and some of his girls to share with you good people. We have decided to continue using the given names of these fine birds, and begin naming ours, only after we can hatch some eggs, or acquire suitable chicks.

I hope to be able to learn from your collective experience and wisdom. I am thankful that there is a page here for the BYC members to use, regarding these most wonderful creatures. Our family is Danish with a bit of Norway and the thought of owning birds that we might have known as a family, in those times is just stunning. Anyway… I hope to try and fret out the most important knowledge already posted, and get to learn of you whom already have these birds.

If there is among you, someone whom could or would point me in a direction of where to begin, I don't want to be redundant without cause. To those here whom are talking the talk & walking the walk, I thank you. Looks to be a most interesting experience and I look forward to it as the new season begins.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

A bright and happy Valentines Day to all the folks here…

I am new and so wish to introduce myself to the esteemed members here. I got my first Icelandic chickens yesterday afternoon. The wife and I are so very excited and honored to have been favored by a fellow member of the Utah State thread, whom allowed me to obtain three hens and a rooster. I have attached a photograph of Loki and some of his girls to share with you good people. We have decided to continue using the given names of these fine birds, and begin naming ours, only after we can hatch some eggs, or acquire suitable chicks.

I hope to be able to learn from your collective experience and wisdom. I am thankful that there is a page here for the BYC members to use, regarding these most wonderful creatures. Our family is Danish with a bit of Norway and the thought of owning birds that we might have known as a family, in those times is just stunning. Anyway… I hope to try and fret out the most important knowledge already posted, and get to learn of you whom already have these birds.

If there is among you, someone whom could or would point me in a direction of where to begin, I don't want to be redundant without cause. To those here whom are talking the talk & walking the walk, I thank you. Looks to be a most interesting experience and I look forward to it as the new season begins.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ
Welcome, RJ! I'm glad to welcome you to the wonderful world of Icelandics! They are a true treasure to be enjoyed and protected. I hope you will stick around and share your adventure with us!

Since it's been quiet here for a bit, here are a few pictures I took of my pullets and cockerels from last Fall. I'm looking forward to "chicken" season!

This pullet was really interesting, her color is a dull greenish brown (olive?) with black - unlike all my other partridge base colored hens. Most end up like the next hen, or a variation with more black. It doesn't show her true color in the pic. It reminds me of camo color.

I think this guy is my favorite of all the chickens I've had. Handsome, and nice manners with the ladies! :)

Back
Top Bottom