Icelandic Chickens

I saw the sweetest thing this morning. Skye and her Icelandic babies were sleeping in a little patch of sunshine. I took the picture from a distance with a long lens so as not to disturb them. The quality isn't good. Please ignore the top of the waterer in the pic too. Gotta love the Baby/Mama shots!

34566_sleeping.jpg

Ok, I also saw something funny too. This little Icelandic roo decided he was all grown up and sexy. Unfortunately, he chose to lose his manhood to OPRAH! You should have seen the beatdown she gave the poor little stud!

Little stud:

34566_sleeping-3.jpg

Oprah!

34566_sleeping-2.jpg

Quote:
Welcome to BYC! Laurie has beautiful birds. I tried contacting her when I caught the icelandic bug but I don't think I got a response. It is exciting to know that more people are getting involved in the effort to save the Icelandics. I am glad you found this site. Hope you come back often. I will be making an announcement soon about a new alliance I am forming and a new website devoted to Icelandic chicken preservation.

Mary

grats on all the new little ones, and good luck to everyone hatching eggs....

i have to say that my favorite part of the icelandics is the potluck (color, not dinner).....

i LOVE the fact that you can let them do as they please you don't have to make sure your black copper is only with your black copper and not your weaton, or that your splash got after your red.....

most breeds are just too much worry about colors within the breed, not these guys... it's free for all and good luck on what ya get... lol...
my flock is all free range right now with a bit of this and a bit of that... no icelandics yet, but i love hatching and seeing what i'll get, the bad part is you never want to get rid of any becasue you want to see what they grow up to look like....

i guess it's good i don't have icelandics, i'd quickly be overtaken by birds, and possiblt disowned by hubby.... lol..

Quote:
Welcome to BYC! Laurie has beautiful birds. I tried contacting her when I caught the icelandic bug but I don't think I got a response. It is exciting to know that more people are getting involved in the effort to save the Icelandics. I am glad you found this site. Hope you come back often. I will be making an announcement soon about a new alliance I am forming and a new website devoted to Icelandic chicken preservation.

Mary

I had to beg and beg for the chickens
smile.png
They are free range and she hates trying to catch them b/c she is soooo busy. She does have someone that hatches eggs for her last I knew but she really doesn't focus on selling the chickens. I called her when I first got them telling her I couldn't find a lot of info and she said that's because there really wasn't, it's really new territory. I am really excited to finally get some information. They are a beautiful breed! I have noticed though that my chicken looks a lot different from the ones I have seen on here. He isn't really mottled at all. I will try to get a better picture of him.

Quote:
I am in Michigan
smile.png
About 2 hours from Laurie's farm (which is how I got lucky enough to get some chickens, I help wrassle them)
We have about 2 weeks left I am guessing. I have a 12 going to a friends farm. It's great to see Icelandics popping up everywhere!

Quote:
I had to beg and plead for mine too. I emailed everybody I located on the internet and most never acknowledged my message. I have to say Lyle was very helpful in the beginning to identify the bird that flew over my fence. Getting pure icelandics was a bit harder until I found Sigrid and Sveinn. I think they finally agreed to send me some birds in hopes I would go away! Ha Ha.
gig.gif
Didn't work. I am still pestering them to this day!
lau.gif

I have a picture of the flock I got my first batch of hatching eggs from. It is widely diversified in color and pattern. Let me see if the owner will allow me to post it. You might find some in there that look like yours. Would love to see more pictures though.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom