icelandic sheep pics

how much room do these sheep typically need to be happy. I was thinking of raising two or three in my average size backyard in Toledo Ohio. Also, are they safe around young children?

I wintered my 4 sheep in a 30X80ish pen with their LGD since we have a horseshoe shaped backyard and a wolf came in, luckily the LGD was on the same side as the sheep and kicked the wolf's butt- but we wanted them closer together for winter. I'll be turning them out on pasture after they all lamb, but as long as you feed them, give them clean water, and the occasional grain treat, they're generally happy as clams.

My two Icelandic ewes were not messed with much as lambs, so they're more flighty, BUT my ram thinks he's a dog and comes running anytime he hears my voice. He's very gentle with my 1 1/2 year old son, and the girls aren't aggressive, either- they just keep their distance because they're not sure what the kiddo is. Depends on how they are raised, though! I wouldn't count on all Icelandic rams being puppy-dog tame. I just got a well-socialized one. Would recommend you find a hands-on breeder if you want friendly sheep :)

one thing i have learned is never trust a ram no matter how friendly they seem

for exampel this ram

but usualy you can trust a ewe

I don't keep unfriendly males period. No point when there are so many others to choose from. Roosters, rams or bulls, they mind me or they go to freezer camp.

I don't keep unfriendly males period. No point when there are so many others to choose from. Roosters, rams or bulls, they mind me or they go to freezer camp.
we usually dont either but we promised the lady we bought him from we would keep him. hes not mean eny more since we casturated him

Back
Top Bottom