Idaho?

Also had a weird experience yesterday..  After church, went out to check out the girls and saw that one of my broodies only had 3 (she had 4) chicks following her around...  I checked everywhere, behind the fence, behind strawbales, all the cracks and corners I could think of, no sign of it anywhere...  Finally figured a falcon had gotten it... I saw one eyeing everyone last week, and I have been looking at bird netting prices since...  Well, last night after I got everyone in (the juvies that just got moved out usually take a couple of days to figure out where to go at night) I could hear cheeping again!!  What??  I looked around again, then noticed a bowl turned upside down and it was moving!!   Very carefully I turned it over and flying out came that chick!!  I seriously can't believe it didn't roast to death under there, it was under there all day!!  It was starving and thirsty of course, but otherwise seemed ok, so after feeding/watering it I put it back under it's momma..  All I can figure is it was nice and warm under there so it just slept all day, the bowl wasn't a heavy one and not dark in color, so it didn't sit tight against the ground...  crazy chickens!!

Trying to be chicken soup was she? Ha ha that is the last place she should be hiding :p

I can't remember if I read something or maybe made it up, lol, but is it bad if chickens don't roost? Ever since we got our two ducks my two chickens sleep on the ground cuddled up with the ducks. They could care less about their roost now, at all. Coop doesn't get freezing in the winter/cold weather. It is up off the ground and has good insulation and the bedding, ect.

Chicken math has struck again! I went to CAL Ranch and got 2 chicks out of the bin labeled "Australorps" then I told my husband that my chicken wish list was complete unless I find Welsummers....and then I got them home. They have white feathers coming in under their wings and now that I'm really looking at them I think they are Black Copper Marans with clean legs. :/ I don't know whether to be happy or sad. The first two chicks that I lost were FBCM so I'm happy I will have the opportunity to raise some dark brown egg layers again...but I wanted Australorps cadflabbit!

Of course I Iive 2 hours Away so can't just return them. Not that my little girls would let me. I suspect they may become Patience 2 and Nugget 2. Lol :rolleyes: I guess I can be happy. My other two died in the gawky teenage stage but 1 of them was starting to look pretty.

That's how australorp chicks look, actually, they are supposed to have the white feathers on their chest, I had Marans chicks and an australorp chick about the same age last year and they did look quite similar until the Marans started getting the copper in their hackles and the australorp was thinner than the Marans...  I bet you have a couple of Australorps :D

I said white feathers on their wings not chests. I'm told this is normal too though and will go away

And here they are Sheila on the left Wheezy on the right

Wheezy squawks instead of peeping sometimes. It sounds like a baby raven hollering for food. Does that mean something is wrong? She is very active, so doesn't strike me as sick. Or perhaps a rooster thing? (but she's only 1.5ish weeks) All my chicks except the 2 Cochins are supposed to have been sexed as being pullets.

My doubt stemmed from the fact that the bin they were in was labeled Black Australorps and there were a bunch of these little ones and some older yellow chicks.

I said white feathers on their wings not chests. I'm told this is normal too though and will go away

Wheezy squawks instead of peeping sometimes. It sounds like a baby raven hollering for food. Does that mean something is wrong? She is very active, so doesn't strike me as sick. Or perhaps a rooster thing? (but she's only 1.5ish weeks) All my chicks except the 2 Cochins are supposed to have been sexed as being pullets.

My doubt stemmed from the fact that the bin they were in was labeled Black Australorps and there were a bunch of these little ones and some older yellow chicks.
The top black one looks so much like my black sex linked! They are quite pretty little birds.

Australorps should have black legs. In my opinion, those are not Australorps. I had the same issue with Cal Ranch. I bought 2 Australorp chicks. As they feathered out, I noticed that they had red on the chest. Well, it turns out they where Black Sex Links and not Australorps. Your chicks look like the Black Sex Link chicks I had.

Hello everybody
frow.gif

Looking for a chicken train from Pawtraitart in Paul, Idaho to as close to Duchesne, Utah as possible.

I am totally exhausted from all the driving and building lately, and need some quality downtime for some recuperation
hide.gif

Thanks to everybody whose able to help!!

Australorps should have black legs. In my opinion, those are not Australorps. I had the same issue with Cal Ranch. I bought 2 Australorp chicks. As they feathered out, I noticed that they had red on the chest. Well, it turns out they where Black Sex Links and not Australorps. Your chicks look like the Black Sex Link chicks I had.

Yeah, they bring in hatchery stock, and aren't the most accurate at times. Then some people pick up the odd chick or two and set them back in the wrong bin as well. They also insist on calling EEs Ameraucanas.

The Salt Lake Shuttle takes cargo for a fee, I wonder what they might charge for a passenger that peeps?

Great idea.... however I'd be worried over the care.

That's a last resort if my energy doesn't return soon, and I don't get a break from what needs be done around here.

Thanks!!

I am in Sandpoint and starting my flock this year. Reading everything I can get my hands on because I have little ones under the heat lamp now and have to get a good coop up before winter lol.

WELCOME :) you will find TONS of information in the different threads - i get lost for quite a while reading articles and looking at plans etc..

caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom