Idaho?

Yes he got home safely and is now future king of the roost over all my ameracauna and leghorn girls... He has been christened Biscuit by the kids for some reason...

I have 11 SBEL eggs in an incubator on my desk at work due to hatch on Thursday... and I won't be here all day!!!! LOL... At least the rest of the office should have a good day... :)
Congrats on the hatch!! Yay!!! SBEL's are fun!! Do you guys have a new baby at your house yet??

Not chicken related, but does anybody want to put together a trail ride? I have a loaner horse if you don't have one. I'm talking about an easy going local ride from our property in Paul to the ditch banks and/or the desert sage brush areas.
Oh man, that sounds like FUN!!! Wish I lived closer... for a lot more reasons than one!!

so I got 9 out of 10 on my SBEL project eggs!! and even better news, the guineas adopted them all!!

Yay for broody birds!!

Its been a sad week for me. I had to put my dog to sleep on Monday. He was only 6 years old. The vet suspected bone cancer which is common in the premature deaths in Rottweilers. He was such a good dog. I feels like I had to say goodbye to a son.

Oh, so sorry!!! My parents had a rottie they had to put down a little over a year ago... he was a really, really awesome dog... He was 12!! He was a very old man, but wow, he was sure a great dog.

I know many of you are posting about your extra cockerels... I also have one that I just don't want to send to the stew pot (where the other extras are going) A Swedish Flower Hen cockerel... he is really a pretty bird, non-crested, calm bird. Much prettier in person than the pics show... I"m about ready to give him away if it means I don't have to eat him, lol... This pic caught him at a funny angle, he does hold his tail up
big_smile.png
Oh, he is almost 4 months old

TarMac... what happened to your buff girl with the prolapse??

Last edited:
No baby yet... we spent a couple hours at the hospital last night but...... anytime now.. LOL

Out of my 9 baby guineas and the 9 sbel chicks that the two guinea mommas adopted, 8 and 8 are doing great! They are two weeks old already and doing great... The 4 older sbel project chicks are doing great too.. 2 are pure white and the other 2 are not.. I'll have to try and get a picture of them.. interesting to see the genes come through...

My easter chicks started laying this week... been busy.. not on byc hardly at all.. We are getting power, a well and more fences at the farm... gotta have everything finished by the end of September... Where did the summer go???

I have a question for all the ppl in here you all are so helpful , do any of you have any pictures of chicken lice or fleas I have one hen that seems to attract some kind of bugs and they get bad before I see she has them. I have the powder that D&B told me to use , I put it on all the hens and in their house and nest boxes , and in their fav. Dusting holes actually all their dusting holes. they seem to go away for about 4 weeks and then the one hen has them all over again. I just don't know what to do as I can not keep the chickens away from wild birds or squirrels. Kinda at my wits ends. any help would be appreciated ty
I found these sights that could be helpful :)

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

One coop I had was a great hideaway for mites & I could never get rid of mites on the chickens in that coop. Finally I tried Frontline flea drops for dogs (You can also use Frontline Plus, or ones labelled for cats). You put 1-2 drops on the skin behind their necks. & 2-3 drops on the skin by their vents. The medicine is distributed by the birds' oil glands, rather than in the bloodstream, & is effective for at least 30 days, so it kills the next generation of mites, too, after they hatch out from existing mite eggs. This treatment FINALLY cured the mite problem in my coop. What a wonderful relief!

Frontline use is off-label for chickens, so the safety of eggs or meat isn't officially reported.

Anyone have a use for a speckled sussex rooster? Born July 6th. From McMurrays. He was their rare chick freebie but I have no use at all for him except for soup later on if we keep him.

Anybody looking for some wheaten ameraucana pullets? I'm sold out of pullets for the season except for some ameraucana. I guess I could keep them, but I really have enough chickens to winter this year with the new breeds I've added to my farm. I'm also looking to sell a pair of jubilee orpingtons. I have four females and three males. I don't mind keeping an extra male, but three? That's a bit much so I'd be okay with letting one of the girls go just so the extra male can avoid freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom