Idaho?

Does anyone know how winter hardy Coturnix Quail are?  Do I need to do anything special to keep them through the winter?

My quail did fine last winter. I do have them in my unheated barn. Overnight it is typically only a few degrees warmer than outside. But it is basically draft free.

I have XL Jumbo Browns & Texas A&Ms and large Golden Manchurian Coturnix coming next week! I should have chicks available next December or January from these new lines.

I've been more selective about the quail eggs I incubate on my last two hatches. On my last hatch I have several of the few I kept that are over the "tantanka" size at four weeks of 200 grams. One huge male was 224 grams! Three or four of the five females were over 200, the other was just under.

I'm really excited about the new lines I have coming. The A&Ms are bred for meat size, reaching butcher size a week earlier than the typical jumbo, but lay random eggs sizes. The XL Browns are good dual purpose, good size for meat and lay XL eggs. The Manchurians typically don't get over 10 ounces but are very prolific & efficient egg layers for those who prefer a more normal size quail egg.

Eggcited!

Does anyone know how winter hardy Coturnix Quail are?  Do I need to do anything special to keep them through the winter?

I meant to add... The biggest problem I had last winter was keeping water thawed for my quail. This year they're all going in a big colony run or two for the winter.

i picked up a 50lb bag from Steve Regan's in Caldwell. was less expensive then at D&B, but then I am local ;)  Can't remember the exact price, just that I had called around before I purchased.
Website says about 40$ for 50lb. I'll have to get over there and check it out, never been!

I meant to add... The biggest problem I had last winter was keeping water thawed for my quail. This year they're all going in a big colony run or two for the winter.

If you get any larger females from your jumbo brown coturnix eggs for sale let me know. Will be up In Idaho in a couple weeks....I have had some crazy issues with my incubator. I need 4 more :) If you get an A&M flock established, I would love to get chicks/eggs from you in the Spring too! I have been looking for those. It is getting a little later in the year now though so I want to wait until Spring and then get some for sure !

Remember the showgirls? I have got some chicks hatching next week....my showgirl paint Roo mated with my NN turken hens, and the babies are mostly paint with the black skin, naked necked, five toes just like showgirls, except they are looking to be a little bigger size and more of a mixture of hard feathers and silkied feathers. Very fun to look at though! I already kept 12, and they are turning out really nice. But more babies will have to be sold. I am getting a couple solid blacks in each hatch too, but as they get older some chocolatey tips come in on the feathers. If anyone in the Blackfoot/ Id Falls area is interested let me know. I will be headed up there either the 28 or 29 of Sept. to see my mom. If you need anything else from these breeders/hatchers around my area let me know I would be glad to be the chicken train....Daloorashens and Birdguy if you want to send anything back with me for anyone in my area let me know :D

Can post pics too I need to get out there and take some of the older ones later today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom