Ideal 236 Leghorn hybrids

Ted_Harrell

Crowing
Sep 23, 2019
Pembroke North Carolina
I have two Ideal 236 hybrids that I bout from a local feed store (southern states I think it was) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I wanted to know about when they should start laying. They are about the same physical size as my Australorps and were purchased in late May, early April of this year. Thanks in advance for any answers...

My mother's started laying at eighteen weeks, but (by egg numbers, not personal observation) a few did not lay until twenty-four weeks. They're very flighty birds and have only started to calm down after nineteen months. After they begin laying, make some noise as you enter the coop, or they'll explode past you in a whirl of screaming feathers.

They're going through their first moult and have completely stopped production for the duration. They did lay through their first winter. They didn't ever lay gigantic eggs, but increased from pullet eggs to large, and then stayed at large eggs. They are very steady producers.

make some noise as you enter the coop, or they'll explode past you in a whirl of screaming feathers.
I have to share a "funny..." Just as I read this line, my son surprised the cockerel that's in quarantine on my front porch ... and he "exploded in a whirl of screaming feathers." It made me jump, then dissolve into laughter.
What an amazing development! BYC now has "Surround Sound!"
:eek::lau:clap

Back
Top Bottom