Ideal hatchery Stock

Quote:
As I understand it, the problem is that they all inbreed them some, in order to get the eggs. There is also some feeling on here that hatchery birds may be more likely to die prematurely from egg problems such as internal laying. I know next to nothing about the genetics, though.

By the way I think you'll find that the buff sex links you list are a hybrid, not a breed; not sure about this.

I wonder if you would be better off starting with breeder stock then selecting for good laying, maybe????

Are you familiar with Henderson's? http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Quote:
As I understand it, the problem is that they all inbreed them some, in order to get the eggs. There is also some feeling on here that hatchery birds may be more likely to die prematurely from egg problems such as internal laying. I know next to nothing about the genetics, though.

By the way I think you'll find that the buff sex links you list are a hybrid, not a breed; not sure about this.

I wonder if you would be better off starting with breeder stock then selecting for good laying, maybe????

Are you familiar with Henderson's? http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It is a bit of a toss up....good laying and worry about long term problems..or a bird that might lay less but for longer. The ones that I have now are EE's. They layed great, an egg a day, until the fall and then quit. They had only been laying for about 4 months before they went on break. I have had "0" eggs for a few weeks now. I want something that will continue to lay in the winter. Also, I want to have a few brown and white egg layers to add to the blue and green eggs. It is a good idea to buy from a breeder. However, it is so hard to know who is good etc.

I have had ideal birds for years I have been very pleased overall with the birds. They are not show quality stock but ideal does not make that guarantee either. I recently ordered California whites, black minorcas, slw and Tophat special. Very pleased with all the birds.

We've ordered several times from Ideal also. Was very pleased each time on the chicks and they way they matured. Without fail they all started laying within 22 weeks. So far my Salmon Fav is the only girl that has not stopped laying since she started due to molt or cold. She turned 1 in Oct. Their birds have always been friendly and healthy with only a couple of shipping casualties. You'll be happy with them if all you want is egg layers since you're not planning on showing. Take pics when you get them
big_smile.png

Quote:
I would love to hear how it goes when you get your next order.

Thanks! I'll be happy to share pictures!!

By the way, this might be a good time to ask......what is the approximate age of these lil guys when they arrive? A week, or less?

They are supposed to ship day old chicks, the idea being that mamas don't take their chicks out to eat and drink for a day or two anyway, and the yolk is supposed to supply their needs for 3 days.

My Ideal SS, buff Orps and black Australorps are still laying at least some days.

Quote:
Thanks Cowgirl71. That is helpful. Same breed birds from different places can have different lay rates. It is intersting how they rate their own birds. I noticed that the Buff orph. were rated as "good" and not "excellent". I wonder what the difference between the two would be?

Back
Top Bottom