Ideal order shipped Monday, not here Wednesday...

KateOfSteel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Hey! I may be freaking out over nothing, but I have an order of chicks from Ideal that I thought would be here by now. They aren't at the post office, which means they won't be here today at all. I talked to someone at Ideal and she told me they were fine for 72 hours after hatching, so if they got here tomorrow they should be fine. My question is this...

REALLY??? I've read so many posts about high mortality rates due to shipping problems, I'm kind of freaking out. How can they be so sure they all hatched Monday? Could any of them have hatched Saturday or Sunday? Am I about to get a box of dead baby chicks? This is my first chicken order ever, and I'm really not sure my heart could take it.

I'm not sure this is even a productive thread, but right now I can't think about anything else and I'm not getting a thing done at work. Does anybody have an opinion? Advice? A way to locate my poor little chicks in transit? A valium? Anything?

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I hope they all make it!!

fl.gif
live chicks, live chicks
fl.gif

I'm waiting on an order from Ideal.... through the feed store.... he said they could be in as early as today..... I'm really hoping they didn't ship till today at this point, but feed store guy didn't share that much info...... I'm afraid if they have high mortality people like me (newbie) will be the ones who don't get their order.....

Hope you have good luck.

I spoke with Idea earlier (sorry, in the world of people who can't sleep, 4:45 AM is still Wednesday) and she told me specifically that my order had shipped Monday. She sounded pretty apprehensive and told me that if my order didn't arrive pretty quickly on Thursday that I needed to let the hatchery know.

On the one hand, I understand that this is probably a problem with the postal service. I can't blame Ideal because I chose them based on the positive reviews and low mortality rates on the forum.

On the other hand, the fact that I have probably caused the death of 20+ chicks in a dark box on a cold postal truck, it makes my heart hurt. As far as I'm concerned, it's entirely different to kill an animal for food after a good life of eating bugs and running around freeranging than it is to have a chick die of starvation without ever seeing sunlight or experiencing anything of the life a chicken is supposed to have.

I'm so worried I'm going to have to open a box of dead baby chicks in the morning. I can only hope and pray. I have water and feed and honey and some kind of mineral blue stuff waiting, so if they arrive with a pulse, I can give them the best possible care. If anybody has any suggestions, I would LOVE to know how to give them the best chance at life, assuming that they are at least a little alive when they get here.

I know that not everyone is religious, but if you pray, please pray for my chicks.

Quote:
Two things... (A) whether its a problem with the postal service, or Ideal, its still a problem so someone is going to eat the cost somewhere, dont place blame, but be proactive in correcting the problem. (B) if they aren't there first thing, be sure to let the hatchery know, and if they DO arrive, then open the box AT THE POST OFFICE! If you open at the post office, in front of the postal employee, then you can ask for a damage claim at that moment for any chicks that are DOA.

Back
Top Bottom