Ideal Poultry americaunas

PrestonC

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Georgetown, Texas
I am planning on getting some Americauna chicks (I know they are EEs) soon that are from Ideal Poultry. Does anybody have any expirience with this hatcheries birds? If so please post comments, pictures, ect. about it! You are not limited! You may include the chickens color as a chick and adult, egg color, health, anything! Thank you to all that help!!! :D

You cannot get Ameraucanas from Ideal, of course. I wish they'd change their advertising to reflect the truth of the matter. I don't have any EEs from Ideal, though I've had other birds from them, via the local feed store. They don't have the best longevity, at least the usual breeds most folks get from them, like Rocks, RIRs, Wyandottes or Orps. They'll be typical EEs, I'm sure, but someone should come along shortly and review them for you.

Last edited:
I ordered 9 Americauna's last year (i didnt know they would be EE's.) But i love them! They sent me a free Americauna rooster he is in my profile picture. That was him at 7 motnhs he is now 1 year and 2 months. :)

I have ordered from them in the past and would do so again. You cannot get true ameraucanas from them , they will be ee's but good birds. The ee's i got from them are grate layers of big greenish blue eggs and they lay every day.

My EE's from Ideal are nice looking pullet They show intelligence as far as chickens go lol, a bit more ornery than my other chickens, but that is where their intelligence shows the most. They are quite fun to watch. They don't seem to be laying yet, but they are right at 6 months old so still young, or they are laying cream colored eggs. I have trouble distinguishing which eggs come from which hens as I have a variety of hens. I'm looking forward to seeing those blueish colored eggs though. As far as Ideal goes, each of my hen that comes from Ideal is a good looking bird that has filled out nicely...they look as nice or nicer than most I saw at the fair this weekend.

I had one EE from them up until this summer (lost her to a predator) but she was a pretty partridge color and layed a blue egg every day. This past August I ordered 4 for my laying flock and although they aren't old enough to lay yet, they are all very good looking and healthy birds. I don't have any pictures of them but 3 are a rich gold color with black penciling and one is pure white. All have ear muffs and are friendly. If you don't mind that they are EEs and not real Ameraucanas, I would definately recommend them!

I don't know about their EEs, but we ordered Buff Orpingtons from them several years ago. They arrived very healthy and none died. We ordered all pullets and actually ended up with one rooster, but that ended up being a good thing because we decided to raise our own Buffs. The one that was a rooster and one of the hens turned out to be beautifully Buff with near perfectly standard characteristics. Some of the second generation Buffs we raised did, too. The other hens all seemed to be more of a Buff Rock type than Orpington. They are all vigorous and good layers, though.

I got 4 EE's from Ideal almost 2 years ago. 3 hens and 1 rooster. They are on the small side and flighty and the roo, Mr. Feathers is a good flock guardian. They all laid pale green eggs that were on the small side the first year. They took a break for the winter and started back up in the spring with much larger eggs. All the hens are currently molting and not laying again, but they're very healthy.

Back
Top Bottom