Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc

Quote:
If you are looking at their white leghorns, try the Ideal 236. It is a mix of some kind that they have. We had several of the leghorns and just one 236. Needless to say I couldn't stand the flightiness of the ones and gave all but one true leghorn and one 236 away. The 236 is much more socialble. Talk about laying machines.

I've just ordered from them and received 14 chicks when I ordered 10. I suspect 1 for a male and the others I'm not sure if they are extra's or males for warmth. We'll just have to see.

I ordered from them about 2 years ago and they sent a TON of males for warmth. I haven't lost a chick in transit yet. I don't want to jinks myself but I haven't lost a chick or chicken from illness yet either. All have been predators
barnie.gif
except for one roo that had turn criminal and we had to expose of ourselves.

As far as Ideal, I have nothing but praise for them so far. Hope that helps

I did order an Ideal 236 and a Leghorn also. So what you posted is very interesting to me. I'm just wondering how in the world i'm going to tell which is which. I guess I'll be posting pics on here asking that question.

Hobbly, our 236 has some black spots here and there. And her comb is flopped over the side of her face - very comical! She isn't one that is lovey dovey, but she doesn't freak out when she is held. Very important to my kiddos. We have also noticed that she will lay a couple eggs a day. And silly bird prefers my plastic trash bag outside my guinea pig room! LOL The leghorn we kept is a good layer, don't get me wrong, but she freaks if cornered and is held. She is always very nervous and full of energy. I have a friend who has the same two kinds and they say the same thing.

I would say post a questions on the Rooster on the roo section or behavior section. I do have a few and really didn't need them, but I do enjoy them.

Ideal just emailed me back and told me all of their sales are for day olds, no POL's. I recon I am gonna start looking at what it takes to raise day olds. I really want POLS though. I think

Chicks really have not been hard for us to start with. Especially since we didn't have our coop built right away. Plus the kids enjoyed playing with them and made pets of 99% of them before they were turned into the coop and allowed to free range.

Craigslist is a good place to start and you can try the Chickens for sale or trade here. There is one other site also that has a classified for Texas. Here is a link..
http://petchickensoftexas.com/community/
That is where I found a lady several months ago that sold our her laying stock and I purchased a couple. You can also try some of your local papers for people advertising.

I ordered yesterday...kinda went overboard and ordered 30..some Sussex, Ameraucanas, Faveolle, Wyandotte, Sex Link, Brahma and a couple of California Whites (could be substituted with their 236). I hope to be producing lots of eggs next year!

To be shipped 10/23. Hope they are as good as you folks say!

Quote:
A good rooster can be a valuable member of your flock. He will do his best to keep your hens safe from predators and if you ever free-range, even on a limited basis, he will do his best to keep all the girls rounded up. The only time they really "harrass" the girls is when the little roos are ready to mate and the girls aren't quite there yet. Once the girls are of laying age and ready to mate, there's no hoopla and the whole thing is over in 5 seconds (seriously, 5 seconds).
I know that some hatcheries do have POL pullets. I'll look around and get back to you. One thing I don't suggest, from my own experience, is to get day olds before you coop is ready. I too thought we'd have plenty of time to build a coop while my chicks were little, but I didn't count on all the little health issues that kept up from getting it built. We had chicks on the porch until they were 22 weeks old!!!
barnie.gif

Going to check out a few hatcheries now and like I said, I'll let you know.

Okay, here ya go. Murray McMurray hatchery has a few varieties of started pullets to choose from. All about 17 weeks old when they ship them to you. Like I said before, they are going to cost you more for shipping, but they are fully vaccinated and you don't have to invest the time and energy into baby chicks. Check out the red stars and the black stars against that chart I already gave you. IMO, you'll get a better disposition without sacrificing laying ability.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/red_started_pullets.html

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/started_white_leghorn_pullets.html

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/black_star_started_pullets.html

Quote:
Wow, @ $10.95 a bird that is a huge price difference. Now I have to decide ifin I want to open the wallet wider or if raising day olds is all that difficult. I am wanting at least 15 birds. I am hoping for 8 to 10 eggs a day. I guess if I got the older pullets I would be that much closer to having fresh eggs, huh?

Back
Top Bottom