*IDEAL POULTRY???*

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm sure there's been discussions on this before--but I'm not sure how to find them?
hu.gif

Anyway--

I was going to wait until NEXT year to order some chicks from McMuarry...but I've been seeing these horror posts about chicks not doing well & perishing...which scares me.

In addtion, they have their 25 chick minimum & I only want a few more of each of my three specific breeds, not 25. I noticed Ideal will let you order less than 25?

So I'm concerned--how do the chicks stay warm enough?

Ideal is all sold out at least until May--which is fine because we aren't starting our 2nd coop until JUNE & we're still getting below freezing every night....

Thoughts? Experiences? Should I order my 10 chicks now? Or??

Quote:
Ideal did fine by me, we ordered 20 chicks from them last month, and they are doing great. Ideal was very friendly, and very helpful. I definitely reccomend them. The chicks shipping box is lined with straw. If they are sold out till may, then once you are able to order, it will be plenty warm out for them, to not worry.

Ideal is one of our sponsors so you can probably catch their banner at the top of the screen. Or you could search ideal though google, but don't forget to mention BYC!

I got 19 chicks from them about a month ago and all were alive and healthy! They have a minimum dollar order so I think you can get as few as 8-10, but if under 15, you can add insurance or packing peanuts depending on weather. They come in a 12x12 or so box and are cold when they arrive, pick them up at the post office ASAP and have the brooder ready to put them into. Took two days to reach me here in Everett, and they were here at 9 am on the second day. Since it was so cold when I got them, most of the holes were taped over and only two were cracked open. There was a straw fiber mat thing in the bottom covering the open holes to prevent drafts.

Just got mine from Ideal and they are doing great. If you order less than 25 than you have the option of insuring the package or they add extra males for added warmth.

My order from Ideal arrived this morning and although I lost two (Ideal's going to credit my acct.), I couldn't be happier with the perkiness and apparent quality of the rest of the chicks. Their customer service can't be beat! Teri is never more than an e-mail away.

Quote:
Ideal did fine by me, we ordered 20 chicks from them last month, and they are doing great. Ideal was very friendly, and very helpful. I definitely reccomend them. The chicks shipping box is lined with straw. If they are sold out till may, then once you are able to order, it will be plenty warm out for them, to not worry.

Cool! I probably won't be actually getting any until July--but that will also depend on whether or not my hatching eggs do well (I'm planning on ordering from Cochins from them), Bantam sultans, buff brahmas & salmon faverolles.

Back
Top Bottom